PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean A/C Evap Coil W/O Pulling Dash

Stratosurfer
07-06-2008, 20:26
All,
On to the next project...
A/C on both units are now just right and showing 40F air at the driver side window vent. However both seem to want to freeze up after a while and I'm fairly certain both need the evap coils cleaned. Is there a technique to cut a section out of the plenum box and install an 'inspection plate' to access the coil without pulling the dash out?
Otherwise anyone tried any alternative method (cleaning foam into the intake on recirculate mode) that has worked to clean the coil.
Not sure why a filter was not OEM, but it sure would be nice... Anyone got a DIY intake filter??
Any help appreciated, can't seem to find any data here or anywhere else.
Thanks

CareyWeber
07-07-2008, 08:29
Pull the fan blower motor and you can get a bunch out.

I would first make sure the drain on the fire wall is clear it's a 90° rubber elbow (kinda looks like a spark plug wire boot).

Kick Ass Matt
07-07-2008, 09:06
Ice on the coil means there's something wrong w/your charge amount. Check your pressure and also your pressure switches, orifice tube, and TXV

Matt

Stratosurfer
07-07-2008, 12:12
I will check my charge this week, I may be slightly overcharged as I had a seal leak that has been resolved...
I was under the impression that if the coil gets dirty, dusty, hairy etc that the condensation doesn't fall off the coil rapidly enough and therefore opens the system up to some icing over.

rustyk
07-07-2008, 22:43
If your system has an expansion valve, that sounds like the culprit. An expansion valve can compensate for many ills, including overcharging

Stratosurfer
07-08-2008, 05:30
Thanks to all. I think this thread will keep me cool for the rest of the summer...