PDA

View Full Version : Early 21:1 vs 18:1 comparison

DennisG01
07-07-2008, 11:17
I don't have any hard numbers to offer a perfect comparison, yet. Eventually I'll do some more "TDP Pull-Off" type runs on the highway which will give even clearer results. But in the meantime, here's some very interesting results.

To keep things in perspective, my "stock 21:1" had a JK ECM with 4" exhaust. My "Schoolcraft 18:1" has the same ECM & exhuast, but also JK hi-pops. PLUS: 21:1 HAD EGT PROBE MOUNTED IN DOWNPIPE, THE NEW 18:1 HAS IT IN THE PASSENGER'S EXHAUST MANIFOLD, RIGHT BELOW THE TURBO. And, let's not forget all the tweaking and balancing Ron Schoolcrtaft did to my engine as he was building it.

Also, the 21:1 was a towing a 6,000lb boat, the 18:1 is now towing a 9,300lb boat. Yes, there are a lot of variables so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but it sure seems as though this 18:1 was a GREAT idea!!!

Anyways, here's some numbers: With the 21:1 I would regularly see a max EGT of about 950 to 1000 (which is really not that bad - but remember it's post turbo). With the 18:1 (towing 3,300lbs more and pre-turbo EGT probe) I've seen the temp's max out at about 850 - 900. I THINK THAT'S PRETTY DARN IMPRESSIVE! I can't wait to get the intercooler hooked up and also get JK's newest programming!

More Power
07-07-2008, 16:50
PA isn't all that far from here... I know of a hill you can run.... :D

Jim

rustyk
07-07-2008, 22:40
I have the Peninsular 18:1 engine with non-wastegated turbo, Phazer gear drive, etc., and this engine sucks the doors off the stock GM 6.5L TD.

DennisG01
07-09-2008, 06:03
PA isn't all that far from here... I know of a hill you can run.... :D

Jim

Unfortunately, with the price of fuel, it's not that close, either!:)

If next Monday is a decent day, I'll have a chance to run my hill and get some numbers.

The one thing I'm stuck on right now, though, is getting the IC pipes to fit up. I bought JK's kit, but I can't seem to get it to work. John's checking into getting another set of pipes. I really hope that works out. Otherwise, I'm stuck trying to find somebody that can fab up a set of pipes to fit - and I haven't had much luck finding anybody that can do it, so far. :(