PDA

View Full Version : gutting the cat

derekja
07-11-2008, 12:05
So I've decided that at least part of my turbo problems are due to a clogged catalytic converter. I'd like to gut it. Unfortunately, I have no welding equipment or expertise. The local exhaust shop won't help because it's illegal for them too.

Several options come to mind:

1) any DP members around Seattle that have the tools and skill to help? I'd pay for your time, of course.

2) anyone know of shops around here that might be more willing to help? Or strategies to find one?

3) I do have access to a drain snake. You know, the metal things you run down the drain to clear clogs. I am tempted to run it up my exhaust and bang it around the inside of the cat for a while. Is this a really bad idea?

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

--Derek

4xjunkie
07-11-2008, 12:15
The local exhaust shop won't help because it's illegal for them too.

2) anyone know of shops around here that might be more willing to help? Or strategies to find one?

Is this a really bad idea?

1) Why not repair it right???:D

2) It is also illegal for you to do it.:D

3) Yes it is a bad idea.:D

6.5 Detroit Diesel
07-11-2008, 16:50
Being a one ton truck, won't this have different emissions regulations? Like being cat-delete? It might have an aftermarket system in, in which case you should be able to return it to stock without cat...or?
I know that I read the regs for mine and because it has a 8600GVW it does not need the cat.

micky_blue
07-13-2008, 05:52
If your near seattle, i am pretty sure there is more than one muffler shop. Look in the yellow pages. Also, tell them you will be paying in cash, AND DO IT. thats how i get my windshields tinted, cash only.

Bnave95
07-15-2008, 07:24
I once went to muffler shop because I had a space between two pcs. of the Ex. ;)

Kick Ass Matt
07-15-2008, 15:29
So I've decided that at least part of my turbo problems are due to a clogged catalytic converter. I'd like to gut it. Unfortunately, I have no welding equipment or expertise. The local exhaust shop won't help because it's illegal for them too.

Several options come to mind:

1) any DP members around Seattle that have the tools and skill to help? I'd pay for your time, of course.

3) I do have access to a drain snake. You know, the metal things you run down the drain to clear clogs. I am tempted to run it up my exhaust and bang it around the inside of the cat for a while. Is this a really bad idea?

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

--Derek

1. No...too far from me
2. Yellowpages
3. Drain snake will not work...because I don't know anyone that craps metal embedded pieces of ceramic material into their ****ter and clogging it...

Thoughts?

Go buy a pipe cutter, 2 x-haust clamps and a section of pipe...

Matt

76m880
07-20-2008, 08:41
if i was near seattle i would help you with your CAT problems

ttpost
07-20-2008, 09:28
if you get near portland i can give you a hand, just bring mgd

76m880
07-20-2008, 11:20
or near yakima