PDA

View Full Version : dually upgrade

sb359
07-12-2008, 21:38
Is it possible to upgrade my single rear wheel to a dually and how would i.

More Power
07-13-2008, 23:49
JC Whitney and other sources offer dually conversion kits. Then you'll need six new tire/wheel combos and a dually bed.

I don't know if the dually rear axle has the same wheel flange to wheel flange measurement compared to the SRW. I do know the rear axle used in the dually has a higher GAWR and heavier wall axle tubing than those used under a 2500HD.

Jim

Mark Rinker
07-14-2008, 06:09
I am pretty sure you could sell your truck and buy a dually - for less than the conversion, and have the correct GCVR rating for the DOT if you ever get inspected or have to scale with a commercial (for-hire) load...

sb359
07-14-2008, 22:22
'I am trying to find someone who would trade for mine .There is a camper i am interested in but it weighs 3600 lbs.I guess i could put it on a trailer and pull it around, seen a few of those around.

AKMark
07-15-2008, 05:54
I see you already have a 3500, why do you need the dually?

If you want, you can go to a junkyard and get a dually rear end, make sure it's from a big block or duramax and verify it has the correct gear ratio. Then go and get a set of front hub assemblies from a dually. Then just find a bed and off you go.

Not that hard, and if you already have a 3500, you should already have the GVWR you need.

I do realize how much more stable a dually is, but unless you are having issues with towing in your current setup, I'd leave it alone.