PDA

View Full Version : The best possible/practical ground connection?

moondoggie
07-14-2008, 12:20
Good Day!

Solder/silver solder/braze a brass washer to a convenient piece of frame.
Drill & tap a hole in the frame (probably 6-32 threads), in the middle of the brass washer.
Connect your trailer plug ground wire here, using a machine screw, external tooth star lock washer, & appropriate terminal(s).If it ever gets ohmic, simply loosen the screw, polish the brass with whatever abrasive is handy, & reconnect.

I've done this only once, & it works perfectly. What say ye?

Blessings!

“If an associate asks for loyalty, give him integrity; if he asks for integrity, give him loyalty.” John Boyd

Robyn
07-18-2008, 06:38
Grounds for the light plugs for the trailer is a thorn in most folks side that need not be.

The ground can be a simple 1/4" hole drilled in the frame with a good bolt like stainless placed through the eye on a crimp type connector thats had the wire soldered in.
Clean the surface of the frame where the eye will seat and then place a toothed lock washwer under the bolts head and also undert the nut on the opposite side of the frame.

Some dielectric grease applied to the contact point is also a good idea. Once all this is done, clean the area and squirt a little undercoat spray over the area and let set up.
The undercoat will keep nasty stuff like salt spray and such from attacking the connection point.

I personally have always bolted a ground lug up with the toothed washers and forget the rest, but the Pacific Northwest does not use salt so corrosion is not as big an issue.

Another issue depending is that a lot of trailer manufactures dont run grounds to all the lights but instead go on the cheap and connect the grounds to the frame of the trailer and then run one wire from the trailer feed to the frame.

This ultimately will lead to a series lighting issues that can drive one nuts.

A common ground wire that branches at various points tp pick up all the lights is the best way.

Electric trailer brakes if not grounded real well can also suffer and can cause problems with lighting as well as be influenced by lighting that is trying to find a ground thats not there.

Had a GMC Dually once that when the engine was reved up the wipers would intermitently operate. Hmmmmm

Distributor internal ground was missing from the coil. Drove me nuts until the truck quit due to the coil going away.

Found the issue and once the ground was fixed all was well.

Ground on my friend

Keeping myself well Grounded :D

Robyn