PDA

View Full Version : Frozen speedo

BozDMAX
07-14-2008, 19:10
A couple weeks ago I noticed the speedo needle acting kind of sticky.
Truck is now SITTING in the driveway and the needle is stuck at 65.

I always thought it looked kind of fast, but this doesn't really work all that well for me. At 50 or so on the road it reads 120+.

Odometer still tracking accurately. Anybody else run into something like this? I searched and did not find any similar threads.

ALLDATA research was fruitless...

John

tufcj
07-15-2008, 08:00
My 2003 has been thru 3 instrument clusters. Each time it started just like yours. The speedo sticks, and eventually the tach failed too. It is covered under warranty 7yrs/70K miles. If you're beyond that, it runs about $400 parts/labor to get a new one installed and programmed. GM customer assistance cut my last one to $250 before they decided to warranty it and reimburse me.

See this thread: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=30019

Bob
tufcj

BozDMAX
07-15-2008, 16:42
70K isn/t much of a warranty - I hit that in 2 and a half years!

I did follow the thread you mentioned Bob, and tried the bit cycling the key in reverse and it seems to have cleared right up. Have to like that - just hope that it lasts.

The way diesel is priced anymore, I am only driving enough to fill the tank every 6 weeks, so it may take a while to see if that is a long term fix or not. Given GM's financials, I doubt they would extend the warranty.

But, thanks for the great advice.

John