PDA

View Full Version : Typical trans temps

DP
07-15-2008, 08:59
I'm considering using the trans oil going to the cooler to heat veg oil in a WVO conversion. I've got a '93 2500 2wd with the 4l80e and have no idea how hot the trans oil coming out might be. Anyone have an idea? Most of my driving will be at highway speeds with the converter locked. Truck currently has 4.10 gear but will have 3.42 shortly.
Thanks.

Dave

bcbigfoot
07-17-2008, 08:01
My trans runs from 160F to 180f on the highway, my truck has 3.43 gears. Trans temp can take approx. 15 miles to come up to operating temp.

DmaxMaverick
07-17-2008, 09:17
The ATF would be a poor choice for heating your WVO. The tranny temp needs to be stable, and if it is too cool, it can be as bad as overheating. And, the volume of fluid/heat would be too little to be effective. And, as bcbigfoot said, it heats very slow under normal driving conditions. If it is routed to a WVO tank, it won't likely come up to temp in any reasonable time.

Engine coolant is by far the best option. You'll always have plenty of heat there to shed. A lot of high volume flow and heat available, and very easy to regulate.