PDA

View Full Version : New chip from Heath Diesel

Robyn
07-16-2008, 06:28
I had a chat yesterday with Bill Heath and the conversation covered a broad base but before we were finished I asked him about the newest chip offering they had for the 6.5.

Bill advised me that the newest chip has seen some interesting changes.

Here is a list of what he talked about.

About a 20 HP gain overall on the performance chip

Longer glow cycle with a post start glow cycle too (similar to what used to happen on the 6.2)

The lockup stays locked even when the throttle is released and stays locked unless the brake is touched OR until the rig decelerates to 33 MPH

The emissions have been cleaned up some too (smoke) on hard acceleration

Overall improvement in the injection timing curve all the way through.

Two basic chip designs.

One aimed at mileage and one at performance.

Just a brief synopsis of what is happening with these folks.

Hope this info will help someone.

Best

Robyn

DaveNY
07-16-2008, 16:20
Well that covers about every little annoyance that I have with my daily driver.Bill give any release date?
Dave

Robyn
07-17-2008, 06:59
Its available now. Call them up and get one.

Also to add some ideas here, I had a phone chat with Jim (More Power) the other day on this subject and the discussion covered the pros and cons of the lockup staying locked up instead of unlocking any time the throttle is released.

Jim was of the opinion that having the "coast" phase was good in that it will aid in overall mileage on curvy drifting roads as apposed to keeping the engine hooked up all the time.

This is certainly a good point to ponder.

After thinking about this issue, what about the 6.5 thats buckled up to a 5 speed? no coast here.

The other thing that came to my mind after the chat with Jim was that the lockup converter is an item that gets the crap used out of it.
Think about how many times that converter clutch locks and unlocks on any given trip.
Every time you let off the throttle above about 43MPH the clutch unlocks and then as soon as you throttle up the clutch relocks.

This on off on off on off on off causes wear on the clutch which is not the most durable little creature anyway.

Having the number of cycles cut way back on the clutch is going to greatly reduce the wear on it and add a bunch to its expected life span.

As far as mileage goes, only some serious testing with and without this feature under some controlled conditions would tell the story.

I am not hearing complaints of poor mileage with the stick shifts so most probably this will be a non issue.

The modified glow cycle is a good idea and will aid those with some higher miles on the engine as well as those with 18:1 compression.

The after glow is really only for the benefit of those who are worried about what the neighbors think when you fire the beast off in the drive on a cold morning.

Most 6.5's that are in good shape (Plugs and injectors) will bang off even in cold weather with little or no smoke and sit happily cackling away until you are ready to get going.

Now most folks (myself included) dont worry about a couple dead plugs and a little smoke at startup.
I personally dont give a rip if the cloud is rather obnoxious as long as the beast starts without having to fool with it much and it smooths out within 15-20 seconds.

Just some observations.

Best
Robyn

AKMark
07-17-2008, 15:08
Anybody price one of these out yet?

Robyn
07-17-2008, 19:10
Call Bill and ask him.
Im sure the prices are about asd they have been for a while.

Best
Robyn

DennisG01
07-18-2008, 16:39
They are listed on his website, too.

DaveNY
07-19-2008, 13:44
Thanks Robyn,
Been busy last couple days couldnt get back to you, I will give Bill a call.
Dave