PDA

View Full Version : Battery draining

hwegener
07-17-2008, 17:08
I did find out that this is not all that uncommon and is usually related to the BCM or stuck relays.

Is there a way for home mechanics to check the proper function of a relay? To be able to find the one that sticks occasionally.

The one odd thing I did catch my truck do, is set off the alarm, even though it was not locked or set???? Would this lean more toward a BCM malfunction as opposed to a faulty relay?

Can only dealers reprogram the BCM's?

More Power
07-21-2008, 10:39
There are dozens of tests that can be performed while using a Tech II scan tool. All you need is a willing and talented technician at your local GM dealership. So, I'd suggest visiting your local dealership, ask to talk to one of their good Tech II techs, and then ask him/her if they can test the systems you're having trouble with.

I've read in the GM manuals that suggest the Body Control Module (BCM) can be reprogrammed, and I asked about it when I first got Lil Red on the road. I used a salvage BCM out of 1500 Series Tahoe when putting together Lil Red (Duramax/Allison powered 1989 Chevy K1500 conversion). The BCM does everything it needs to do without being reprogrammed.

Jim