PDA

View Full Version : Jetta diesels in demand

curmudge1
07-18-2008, 09:00
even before they're available, it seems:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8300-13746_7-48.html?tag=blgs.list

Thought someone else might find this interesting.

--
Dave

More Power
07-18-2008, 12:21
The thought of having to compromise completely on performance when looking for a 40-mpg vehicle is enough to persuade lots of people to consider a TDI. ;)

Jim

6.5 Detroit Diesel
07-18-2008, 23:55
Just curious why this is so big? Are there no little diesel Jetta's or Fart, (I mean sMart:D) cars in the States? They are everywhere up here.

More Power
07-19-2008, 01:33
Just curious why this is so big? Are there no little diesel Jetta's or Fart, (I mean sMart:D) cars in the States? They are everywhere up here.

Diesel emissions in Canada is easier to meet than the 50-state EPA requirements here. So, more (or so it seems) of the VW TDI diesels per capita go north... I know that for a time, VW diesels weren't 50-state legal here in the U.S. :(

Jim

Mark Rinker
07-19-2008, 07:01
Are there aftermarket pipes, intakes and such for the TDi? It would be fun to hot-rod one of them... :)

convert2diesel
07-19-2008, 09:30
Bunch of stuff available, most of it for the gassers, but there are a number of tricks to breath on these engines. The Germans did a pretty good job of getting alot of HP from a small footprint so unsure how much more could be squeezed out before bits and pieces start to distribute themselves on the ground.

The older stuff is another story. Mechanical pumps, no computers, etc. Heard somewhere that if you use the new variable vane turbos on them and crank up the pump they really get up and dance on Saturday night.

Regardless, at the end of the day you are still very vulnerable in a car that can be squashed like a bug by the majority of the other cars on the road. Still prefer to have some metal around me.

Bill

6.5 Detroit Diesel
07-19-2008, 13:45
over on TDIclub, there was an article about one of their members that sqeezed 380 torque and just over 200 out of his Jetta, with some serious modifications.

Mark Rinker
07-20-2008, 07:59
Regardless, at the end of the day you are still very vulnerable in a car that can be squashed like a bug by the majority of the other cars on the road. Still prefer to have some metal around me.

Bill

Agreed for the daily driver. However, for the weekend warrior - I like the acceleration of a 300hp soda can. :)

convert2diesel
07-20-2008, 12:13
A million years ago I used to do the circuits with a Mini Cooper: the real ones not the new Euro trash, (rally, sedan etc.) and I noticed that at a certain point, especially with FWD and a short wheelbase, you very quickly run out of traction. Lots of HP is lots of fun but if you can't plant it, what good is it. All 300 ponies is going to do is increase the share price of the Goodyear tire company.

Still, they were gobs of fun and I really learned my mechanics from those early years (got to the point where I could remove the engine and tranny in under 1/2 hour...by myself). My interest in automotive design originally stemmed from that Mini and the mods available from England.

Bill

tpitt
07-21-2008, 09:59
quote: convert2diesel

I have two VW TDI'S. If you do your research, you will find these are highly rated for safety. Both of our vehicles have 6 airbags each. They are by far safer than my GMC. If you hit a Peterbilt, your going to be killed or injured no matter what you drive.

93GMCSierra
07-21-2008, 17:44
while your probably correct that the 6 airbags make it a safer car I dont know if I trust them numbers as much as they want me too, and as to it being safer then your gmc, quite possibly, as most new cars are made to crumble...er crumple.. I would much rather take the early 70's "boats" in a crash.

convert2diesel
07-21-2008, 19:39
I have two VW TDI'S. If you do your research, you will find these are highly rated for safety. Both of our vehicles have 6 airbags each. They are by far safer than my GMC. If you hit a Peterbilt, your going to be killed or injured no matter what you drive.

I agree. If my work involved a short 10 mile commute I would seriously look at one of these cars. Unfortunately, I put nearly 40,000 miles a year on my daily driver, mostly on the freeway, and based upon the majority of vehicles that share that road with me I would still prefer to have some heavy iron around me. Have seen too many of that type of vehicle rolled up in a ball, with the occupants being carted away in an ambulance.

A good friend of mine would also agree. He is now wheelchair bound because his electronic braking system worked great on his VW (2005) but the Taurus behind him managed to climb over the top and crushed the roof in. Dispite the balloon fest inside the VW, it still took the ERT almost five hours to cut him out but by that time, his spine was toast.

It has been my experience that the head-on crash is very rare, yet it would seem that this is where most of the design work is being placed. By far the most damaging and dangerous is the rear ender. glancing impact or t-bone. At least with the head on it is usually quick and definitive. At closing speeds of 140 MPH between two 4,000 lb. vehicles, it is unlikely anyone will survive, regardless of how many balloons you have.

I'll put my Buick and my soon to be, Cadillac daily driver up against a TDI any day of the week.

Bill

tpitt
07-22-2008, 14:51
I agree. If my work involved a short 10 mile commute I would seriously look at one of these cars. Unfortunately, I put nearly 40,000 miles a year on my daily driver, mostly on the freeway, and based upon the majority of vehicles that share that road with me I would still prefer to have some heavy iron around me. Have seen too many of that type of vehicle rolled up in a ball, with the occupants being carted away in an ambulance.

A good friend of mine would also agree. He is now wheelchair bound because his electronic braking system worked great on his VW (2005) but the Taurus behind him managed to climb over the top and crushed the roof in. Despite the balloon fest inside the VW, it still took the ERT almost five hours to cut him out but by that time, his spine was toast.

It has been my experience that the head-on crash is very rare, yet it would seem that this is where most of the design work is being placed. By far the most damaging and dangerous is the rear ender. glancing impact or t-bone. At least with the head on it is usually quick and definitive. At closing speeds of 140 MPH between two 4,000 lb. vehicles, it is unlikely anyone will survive, regardless of how many balloons you have.

I'll put my Buick and my soon to be, Cadillac daily driver up against a TDI any day of the week.

Bill

I'm also a Buick and Cadillac fan. To bad they don't have a good diesel option. Apparently Cadillac does in Europe. I used to drive Olds 5.7 diesels. It just got to the point I was tired of working on them. I had relatively good luck with them, but the rest of the cars started falling apart. I really like my V.W's. I drive them all over. If someones going to rear end you. it doesn't really matter what you drive. Both of mine are station wagons, so they would have a harder time of climbing over the back.
tpitt

NeilLB7
12-03-2008, 10:01
My mom commutes 180 miles per day. In 2005 I convinced her to buy a new VW Golf TDI. I think it cost right at $24,000. Its fully loaded and a very nice car to boot with plenty of room. She gets an easy 40mpg+ on the Interstate...and the car is actually a normal car that sounds normal and drives normal. Not some tiny ball shaped car or one with a ton of batteries and high voltage wires.

The next year they dropped the diesel option in all models and now its back as a clean diesel for 2009 in the Jetta.

But I still like the Golf. Its cool to hear that little turbo spool up too. Overall the car is very quiet with just a hint of turbo under heavy throttle loads.

Mark Rinker
12-04-2008, 10:56
I plan to buy my daughter a used Volkswagen TDI for her graduation present this spring. She likes the idea of a more fuel efficient ride for college, rather than the little wheezer gas Mercury Sable sedan she drives now. Personally, I like the idea of more diesel rattle in the driveway...:D

AVM62
05-07-2010, 19:49
I just got a 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI with the 6 speed manual trans. I've put 1400 miles on it already. So far I'm doing 40 mpg around town, and 45 on a trip to Cleveland & Pittsburgh. I found fuel for $2.99 here and in Cleveland.

The TDI is quiet, no one who has ridden with me could even tell it's a diesel, even with the sunroof and windows open. Not a hint of smoke. If you accelerate hard through the gears it sounds a little like a Detroit Diesel 8V-71, which is alright with me.

The only things I don't like is the off idle power and the radio. She will stall if you don't get the rpm's above 1050 or so, or you try to accelerate fast from a dead stop. Once you get above 5 mph she is fine. The radio just does not have the dynamic range I am used to, it sounds compressed to me. One of the reasons I got it was to be able to move my PA system around. ( I was using a full size van for that).

trbankii
05-08-2010, 06:28
My father just traded his 1987 Golf (non-diesel) in on a 2010 Golf TDI. A bit of a leap in technology for him - accidentally found the fry-your-a*** ummm... seat heater button. :)

Nice little car. I'm waiting for a chance to get behind the wheel.

93_Burrito
05-10-2010, 16:35
trbankii,

Does your father live nearby? I was just wondering where he got his TDI...

My '09 Jetta TDI was ordered through Cumberland Valley Motors. We had some service problems with them, so we wound up at Victory Volkswagen in Harrisburg. Two weeks after we thought we found a good dealership to work with, Victory closed its doors. Much to my chagrin, a new Volkswagen dealership popped up: Sutliff.

Two weeks ago, we took the Jetta to Sutliff for its 20k mile service: oil change, air and fuel filters, tires checked for balance and rotated, as well as to address a recall with the DSG. The tech at Sutliff broke the top of the fuel filter "manager" while swapping filters. So, it will go back at the end of the week for a new one. I will say, there is a service writer named Kerry that has been a friendly, helpful guy. If you go to Sutliff, I'd suggest you work with him. Got a free car wash, too...

We were given 3 years of free maintenance when we bought the Jetta, and that's been nice for sure. As long as the Sutliff keeps its incompetent people at the Chevy dealership across the street, we may stick with them for our VW service.

trbankii
05-12-2010, 10:05
Yep, he is local. Got my first ride in it last night, still waiting to get behind the wheel.

My parents bought it from the dealer down in York. He was hesitant to go to Sutliff and I'll pass along the information that his instinct was likely correct.

They've been going to Baum in New Cumberland since the 80's for service on their VWs - one Golf (and now the new one), two Jettas, and a Passat.

94GMC2500
07-26-2010, 09:51
Hi, They know how to make the TDI VW's run in europe. I will try and post a link to a video of one running. Tom
http://www.pulloff.com/phorum/templates/Pulloff_Enhanced/images/green_header_left.gif (http://www.pulloff.com/phorum/) http://www.pulloff.com/phorum/templates/Pulloff_Enhanced/images/content_top.gif

Bert Vos
July 01, 2010 09:01PM
Hello all
This class is only running in europe.
We have the Brothers Toy.
These are the general rules:
4 cilinder diesel engine max 2500 cc
2 valves pro cilinder
1 turbo size is free
fuel pump free
rpm free
intercooler and water injection alowed
have to look like real tractor
tyres we drive are cepecs they use in the us for the fwd
we use an VW 1.9 tdi engine witch is upgraded to 2 ltr
the engine is making 9500 RPM with bosch a pump and a holset HX 50 charger with intercooler and water injection
wheel speed is a litlle bit over 100 KMH
the weight of the tractors is 600 KG

Best regards Bert Vos
Team brothers toy

www.brotherstoy.nl (http://www.brotherstoy.nl)

94GMC2500
07-26-2010, 09:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YX_Ulgc1mo

DieselEnvy
07-27-2010, 13:04
I thought I'd put in my 2 cents while this thread is active...

I bought my '09 TDI Sedan last June after years of lusting for a GM diesel truck. Don't get me wrong I still want a Duramax in the worst way, but the economics of it all won't permit it right now.

So far the car has been very good. Aside from a couple of relatively minor quality control issues, the fit and finish are top notch.

I've been getting 33-35 MPG in mixed driving around Greater Pittsburgh, and saw 40 MPG on a trip to the DC area last September. I'd like to get it out for a long road trip again soon!

Now if GM would just release that Mini-Max......in an "economical" RC-SWB..., I'd be all over it!

AVM62
08-08-2010, 12:09
I'll just add this, I'm really happy with my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDi I got last April. Wish I had have gotten one years ago.