PDA

View Full Version : Unusual noise in engine

Bill Volcko
01-18-2004, 15:50
About 2 months ago I successfully got my truck running again by installing a new FSD on a new FSD cooler. Well that

ktobin
01-21-2004, 15:07
Ive got the same sort of sound in mine i'm sure it is not a bearing knock . My sound was more of a clicking sound at idle and at first went away with 1200rpm.I am noticing it all the time now.
I am assuming that this "clicking "is an injector noise and not the "tic" of a lifter. I won't know for sure until i change injectors know 190000kms. old.

patrick m.
01-21-2004, 15:23
Bill, since you disturbed the I.P., something may now be touching an injector line.
When i installed the dual t-stat sys, the heater pipe was re-located just enough to touch one injector pipe, and made a loud "ticking" noise in the cab.
just a possibility.

ucdavis
01-21-2004, 15:46
I'd bet on an injector line. Rotating the IP twists the lines a bit, and if any one of the bushings wasn't snugged fully or if a line was realllly close B4 the rotation to knicking something, you could easily be clicking on something when the injector fires & the line jumps.

Dvldog 8793
01-21-2004, 16:18
Howdy
Before I had my pump replaced my rig had the same noise only intermitent. It would just start all of a sudden and then be gone. A diesel-mech friend of mine said that one cyl was not fireing and would cause the noise. :confused: Who knows?
Iknow that the first time it did it I had a coranary :eek: Thinking a rod was seeking freedom from the confines of the block! This noise that I had was VERY Loud and directly related to RPM. Low RPM no noise, high RPM REAL BAD. After I would kill the engine and wait a few minutes it would go away. Hope this helps
L8r
Conley

charliepeterson
01-21-2004, 19:47
I would vote for something hitting or laying too close to an injector line. This noise will be heard easily inside the cab.
If the injector lines are good then loosen up the injector lines one at a time while the truck is running to see if the noise goes away. If it does then you found the bad injector. I believe 75K-80K these injectors don't owe you anything anymore. Sure some people get lots more but if you're using the truck hard by towing or long trips the performance and fuel mileage will always be better with good injectors.

triggerman
01-21-2004, 20:51
I had a bad injector that made a off clater to somtimes knock and it made the engine rock at hot idle. New injectors did the fix. I was afraid I burned a piston, so I did a oil analysis which came up good. How do you spell relief...?
Good luck

Bill Volcko
01-22-2004, 08:20
To all responders. R-E-L-I-E-F sure sounds like my noise is injector related. Will check it out.