PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy new heads?

Jrgicehc
07-19-2008, 13:40
I was just wondering where is a good place to buy new heads, I found a few places online but I dont know who is reputable and which heads are better than others. let me know your experiences.

Hubert
07-19-2008, 15:49
Go to the tech forum there are a couple of long threads on heads. I can't do it justice.

There are quite a few choices and levels of quality.

Jrgicehc
07-20-2008, 13:06
Any search suggestions on the name? I looked around a little this morning and couldnt find too much of anything.

Hubert
07-21-2008, 04:59
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=30359&highlight=CLEARWATER

Read through this I believe it discusses clear water and alabama cylinder head among others. Look at various quality issues.

You can go economical or all out as far as vendor site supporters are all recommended. Ebay depends on each user.

Robyn
07-21-2008, 06:33
The discussion on aftermarket heads has raged many times here and the pros and cons come and go.

I personally have used a set from Clearwater on my 94 Burb and they are doing fine after two years.
The price was reasonable and the service was good.

For my repair $$$ it was a great deal.

Unless you know the seller on ebay I would be wary about any heads offered there.
Ebay can be a great source of goodies, BUTTTTTTTTTT some stuff can be junk.

The new stuff coming from AMG is wonderful IF you can handle the cost.
There have been statements offered by some company mechanics that have installed the clearwater heads on delivery trucks and their experiences have been good too.

I would be very careful about any recon stuff coming from any online stores.
I have not seen very many rebuilt heads that I would waste any $$$ on.
This is not to say that good ones are not there, but there is a lot of junk for sale.

Best

Robyn