PDA

View Full Version : 96 599 in 93 499 out

stacker
07-21-2008, 12:07
Good evening guy and gals. As most of you know i've had a run of it trying to get the 93 blow heads/ w bad mechanic engine going. What's yalls opion of the "96 599 and what problems can i expect putting the manual ip on it. Got a complete junk yard motor hopefully all is well. Looking for some good luck ready to drop her in, in the morning. already changed all the cooling upgrades over from the blow engine. (crank came out the bottom)
By the I got a new mechanic. and i'm baby sitting this one.
Thanks
Stacker

More Power
07-21-2008, 12:40
From what I have learned, the "599" casting was a 1992-93 model year block casting. There were a few of them used in 1994.

If the new block you have is a 1996, could it be a 506?

Regardless, you shouldn't have a problem using all of your mechanical fuel injection components on that engine. ;)

Jim

stacker
07-21-2008, 12:57
From what I have learned, the "599" casting was a 1992-93 model year block casting. There were a few of them used in 1994.

If the new block you have is a 1996, could it be a 506?

Regardless, you shouldn't have a problem using all of your mechanical fuel injection components on that engine. ;)

Jim

From what i understand the 499 was the better block but i'm sure i read 599 on the casting of this block. Maybe already been changed out in this used truck, that i got the block from.
Thanks cliff.

JetBoater
07-21-2008, 14:13
Sounds like your engine came from 92-93 as More Power stated.

They say the best of the older castings are the 10149599 (92-93 blocks.could be 6.2 or 6.5)
Less desireable 6.5 casting numbers:12552929,10237141,12555506 The 506 had the piston oil spray nozzles.

I have taken them all apart and found all of them cracked around the main webs. Take off the caps and you'll find cracks near the bolt holes.

They run with cracks so its a gamble on when they will grenade. If you use ARP studs on the heads and a stud girdle on the bottom... it will assist beefing up the little beast.

The "Optimizer" block (Navistar casting) is a better option if you have the money.

4911 manual IP came on the 92-93 engine... you can tweek the roller to roller pressure with the turn of a screw... see the diesel page volume I or II.

stacker
07-25-2008, 19:11
Sounds like your engine came from 92-93 as More Power stated.

They say the best of the older castings are the 10149599 (92-93 blocks.could be 6.2 or 6.5)
Less desireable 6.5 casting numbers:12552929,10237141,12555506 The 506 had the piston oil spray nozzles.

I have taken them all apart and found all of them cracked around the main webs. Take off the caps and you'll find cracks near the bolt holes.

They run with cracks so its a gamble on when they will grenade. If you use ARP studs on the heads and a stud girdle on the bottom... it will assist beefing up the little beast.

The "Optimizer" block (Navistar casting) is a better option if you have the money.

4911 manual IP came on the 92-93 engine... you can tweek the roller to roller pressure with the turn of a screw... see the diesel page volume I or II.

Well the mech peeed me off so looks like i'll finish it tomorrow. He said that after it being apart for 4 months that he was having a hard time figuring it out.
Well in less than a hour i had the accessories on all the wire down and ready for the radiator. Draggin along because he didn;t have a new turbo flange gasket. I told him to reuse it since it only had a 100 miles on it and the worst that could happen is a little exhause leak. Let you know tomorrow how I make out.
Thanks.

More Power
07-25-2008, 21:36
Draggin along because he didn;t have a new turbo flange gasket.

Perhaps some others can post what they know, but the last few GM turbos I've installed or removed from existing installations didn't have a turbo flange gasket. Like the exhaust manifolds (that don't require gaskets), the turbo flanges are machined flat and don't leak unless something is unusual.

Jim

stacker
07-26-2008, 05:59
Perhaps some others can post what they know, but the last few GM turbos I've installed or removed from existing installations didn't have a turbo flange gasket. Like the exhaust manifolds (that don't require gaskets), the turbo flanges are machined flat and don't leak unless something is unusual.

Jim

Your right jim: and that what i told the mechanic, hard head wouldn't listen to facts, that chevy on most exhaust application specify surface to surface and that the only reason why i had a flange gasket was because kennedy sends them with a new turbo. I just have a couple of hour left on finishing the other mechanic work and she should be ready to bang off. I traded a couple small hand guns for this reman. engine complete. A couple of real bad shade tree mech ran it on one starter bolt, not for long and broke the ear off the block and broke the other bolt off inside. with some help from a machinist friend and some good luck i may have made the deal of a life time, With all the bad luck i've had. I really need a brake