PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, 6.5 oil pump primer tool

SmithvilleD
07-21-2008, 14:01
Hello All,

I've been a member for 1.5 years lurking/gleaning info, but this is my first post. I've built a few domestic V-8's, 450 hp Mitsu 2L turbo, & rebuilt a few IH tractor diesels; but this is my first 6.5L project.

I'm wrapping up the last details to complete an 18:1 build. I'd like to fab up an oil pump primer tool from a 6.2 vacuum pump core, but haven't been able to source one for reasonable $.

Does anyone have a 6.2 vac pump core laying around?

Also, I do my own abrasive blasting & powder coating so could possibly trade some powder coating work.

chickenhunterbob
07-22-2008, 20:51
Maybe will help, maybe not...

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showpost.php?p=184501&postcount=8

Or maybe check in with the 6.2 forum

SmithvilleD
07-23-2008, 18:14
This is a hobby project with not a lot of pressure to complete. I took the time/effort to get details optimized (multiple bearing sets & rod resizing made it possible to get all the main & rod oil clearances right down the center of the stock oil clearance specs.

With everything coated in assembly lube & the oil pump internal clearances coated with some light grease, I expect it might fill the oil galleries with the cranking needed to purge air from the injector lines.

Even so, pre-lubing it would ensure oil has flowed thru the galleys, lifters, & up thru the pushrods so the rockers are assured to have lube when it fires.

Mostly just want to do what I can to optimize things so the engine lives a long life.