PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Stored for 18 years.

Craigwcf
07-21-2008, 14:50
I am new to this forum. I am thinking about buying a 6.2 with 80,000 miles on it. Problem is it has been sitting in dry storage for 18 years. What do you think I would need to do to this engine before I install it in my truck? Thanks for any help.

85-m1028
07-21-2008, 18:49
For good measure I would at least replace the rear main seal, front crank shaft seal, harmonic balancer, CDR valve ->"the bronze tuna can looking thing by the intake manifold and any thing rubber...

Robyn
07-21-2008, 20:31
I would be careful as one of these that has sat for so long could have loads of carbon that has broken loose in the intake and heads and fell onto the piston tops.

This is not a big deal but can cause issue if it piles up and causes binding as the piston crosses TDC.

If the little creature is in good shape I would yank the pan and heads and clean and check things and do the seals and such.

Have fun, sounds good

Robyn

ActionPaintball
08-07-2008, 06:18
Not sure what you are paying for it-but there is a huge surplus of military HMMWV 6.2's hitting the market and you can get a dyno tested and guaranteed complete motor for less than $1000.

Of course-for the right price-anything can be a good deal. I would shy aware froma motor sitting that long if it was never turned-air carries humidity and will still rust non oiled internal surfaces such as cylinder walls just being exposed to the air.