PDA

View Full Version : What is Normal Oil Pressure?

Luis
07-22-2008, 16:59
:confused: 01 LB7 with 119k. I haven't had any problems until recently. [Just three weeks ago I spent a ton of $ at the dealer for (2) fuel system problems]

After work today, at start-up I noticed the oil pressure guage was around +/-30 psi. Needle moved up and down and then stayed up around 74-80 psi while under acceleration. At idle it dropped to about 25psi. While at cruising speed it stayed around 40psi.
Tempature at start up was 98 degrees F.

Now I feel realy bad, [getting old] but I can't remember what it usually runs at. This seemed LOWER than usual. I checked the oil level and it seemed fine, except it seemed thinner. It didn't smell like diesel fuel. I drained a pint of oil into a glass [thanks to the Fumoto valve] but didn't see any signs of fuel or water etc. Oil (AMSOIL 15w 40 HD) only has 5k on it in the past four months.

Should I take it back to the dealer?

DmaxMaverick
07-22-2008, 21:44
Sounds normal to me. That's about exactly what mine is on a 98° day. Been that way since new, and I use the same oil (Amsoil 15w-40).

Luis
07-23-2008, 17:23
Thanks DmaxMaverick...a friend of mine told me the same thing...I guess I'm `runnin scared' after the recent problems and the associated cost with fixing diesel's...Question...how can I find out the date the truck went into service? [I bought it used w/4300 miles in `01] If anyone can tell me I'd sure appriciate it...My VIN is 1GTHK23161F183562...
Another question...If I have fuel in my oil, what must I look for? It seemed thin but I dont see anything in the sample I pulled...Thanks once again...LA

Dakster
07-23-2008, 17:43
That's about what my LMM runs at as well. Although I don't go up to 80 PSI when accelerating.

The best bet to catching fuel in the oil BEFORE it is a major issue is by an oil analysis which would be easy for you since you have the fumuto valve.

When it becomes a large issue, trust me, you will know. Besides the oil level going up, you will be able to smell it in the oil. Although this new ULSD diesel fuel doesn't have as strong an odor.

More Power
07-25-2008, 10:18
My 2001's will produce near 75-80 cold at idle, and 60 or a few more psi at operating temperature and 65 mph.

Whenever an oil pressure question arises with an LB7, check the engine oil for the presense of fuel. The white paper towel test has been described here many times.

Jim

Luis
07-25-2008, 18:37
Thanks everyone...I've been keeping an eye on the pressure...staying the same...at operating temp and cruising 40-60 psi. Idle 22psi...cold start 70/75 psi...
White paper towel test...not real sure...kinda blends altogether real fast...level seems normal and stays about the same...

I ordered a sample kit from AMSOIL today...I'll post the findings when they come in...

In the mean time, How can I find out the date my truck went into service? I need to know in case I have to take it in for the injector warranty...Thanks once again...LA

Luis
07-26-2008, 11:40
UPDATE>>>I checked the oil level this morniing and it was above the full mark; up to and on the cable...I performed another paper towell test; this time I laid the side of the dip stick (with the notches) flat on the towell and then removed...there was a dark spot in the center surrounded by a lesser lighter color ring...I'm now convinced I have injector problems...now I have to deal with the dealer to see if I'm still under warranty...if not, I may soon be come a diesel mechanic! Pray For Me!

Luis
08-08-2008, 18:14
After getting an estimate of 6k [+/-], from my local dealer, I called a few friends for advice and ended up meeting a GM Tech (friend of-a friend) who works at another dealership about 50 miles away...He took my receipts and history issues to the GM regional rep...GM covered the repair under the extended warranty.
119k and I'm back on the road...Oil guage is normal now...75 at start...60 crusin and between 25 and 35 at idle...
I'm still waiting for the results of the oil sample I pulled prior to the repairs...

Dakster
08-10-2008, 06:03
Glad you got it fixed under warranty!

At least you caught it in time and realized something was wrong before a catasrophic failure.