PDA

View Full Version : Air Flow problems

ross1147
07-22-2008, 19:14
Hello everyone. Just a real quick question. My '03 D-max is having problems with the vent fan speeds. When I bought it nothing really came out of any of the vents on speed 1. All the other speeds 2-5 worked. Yesterday air stopped coming out of the vents at speed 2 but 3-5 still work with less airflow. I thought maybe I needed to check an air filter to clear it up but a mechanic buddy of my father ran my vin and told me there was no filter for the ventilation system. Do you think the fan is starting to wear out or is it something else? (The operation is the same for a/c, vent, and the heater.)

DmaxMaverick
07-22-2008, 21:35
Very likely the resistor module. The fan speeds will start falling off, usually starting with the lower. They're not expensive and very easy to replace, once you remove the lower HVAC cover above the passenger foot area. 3 screws gets it loose, and a little wiggling/twisting of the cover gets it out. [hypothetically]If you lay on your back, with your head on the floor at the base of the firewall, and your heels on the headrest, the resistor module will be straight above. It will be the connector with the most wires running into it (4 or 5), and it has 2 screws (or one, don't remember) holding it in place. It will be a card inserted into the duct with the connector facing down. Autozone, Napa, etc. should have them for less than half the cost at the dealer (about $30).

ross1147
07-23-2008, 11:20
Thanks a lot DmaxMaverick. I had that cover off yesterday and saw the resistor module. Looks like an easy fix. I really need my a/c down here is Florida. Too hot!