PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, 6.2 vac pump core - anyone?

SmithvilleD
07-23-2008, 18:18
Hello All,

I've been a member for 1.5 years lurking/gleaning info, but this is my first post. I've built a few domestic V-8's, 450 hp Mitsu 2L turbo, & rebuilt a few IH tractor diesels; now I'm building my first 6.5L project.

I'm wrapping up the last details to complete an 18:1 build. I'd like to fab up an oil pump primer tool from a 6.2 vacuum pump core, but haven't been able to source one for reasonable $.

Does anyone have a 6.2 vac pump core laying around?

Also, I do my own abrasive blasting & powder coating so could possibly trade some powder coating work.

76m880
07-23-2008, 21:02
i have a spare pump i think i will check tomarrow

Robyn
07-24-2008, 06:39
I am delighted to see someone that is going to prime the oil system on a fresh engine.
I see so many techs that sit and grind on the little beast to get oil pressure up. :eek:

I built a primer from and old vac pump to do these engines too and it works dandy.

I always run the oil pump until I have oil coming out all the rocker oil holes.
The last 6.5 I did took about 1/2 hour to get the last two rockers to oil but when I installed the covers I knew that the engine was going to oil right.

Took only a few seconds on the starter with the glow plugs out to get fuel misting out and the oil pressure was up to snuff too by that time.

Best to ya

Robyn

85-m1028
07-24-2008, 08:02
If I remember right I just used a drill motor with a socket and extension to drive the the pump with the vac pump removed...

NH2112
07-24-2008, 11:26
I use an air ratchet with 6-10" extension and 5/16" socket, it's slower than a drill but after doing all the work I don't mind spending another 5-10 minutes.

ayjude
08-16-2008, 22:31
I'd like to get some more information about priming the oil system.

My truck has been sitting for 3 1/2 months while I rebuilt the heads. I am almost done- intake manifold, A/C, alternator, Power Steering and various wiring and vacuum hoses, and then I am DONE!! And ready to try starting. I know I needed an oil change before the head gaskets blew, so I was going to do that also.

For all the repairs, I got complete rebuild gasket kits for the engine. I have new gaskets for the oil pan. I figured I might as well pull the pan, scrape any sludge out and then reinstall.

I definitely like this truck, and want to do what I can to keep the engine good. How do I prime the oil system? If I have the pan off, can I pull the pump and use that to prime the system without turning the engine? I have primed every metal part with a moly based grease (according to the repair manuals) so that there is some lubrication during 'initial' startup. Please advise me as to the best way to do a good prime.

Adrian Byers

brian wafer
08-18-2008, 03:51
if i remember well i used a 5/16 ,1/4 drive socket taped to and extension. lift the vacum pomp or rpm sensor ( where distributer is on a gas motor).install tool on drill and it will turn oil pomp.

SmithvilleD
08-19-2008, 17:33
Doesn't the oil feed that lubes the oil pump drive need to be sealed, while spinning the oil pump? Not certain, but I'd think that leaving that passage open would bleed a fair volume of oil & not feed the lifter galleys?

I found a salvage yard 6.5 auto trans engine speed sensor (basically the sensor is attached to the top of the oil pump drive, like the vac pump on the 6.2's).

Removed the plastic top & pressed on window wheel. Then chucked the shaft in a drill press. So I could spin it, while using a hand grinder to turn down the teeth that engage the cam. I'll get a pic of it this evening & post in this thread.

Haven't used it yet, but should go right in the oil pump drive hole - engaging the oil pump & sealing the oil feed that lubes the pump drive & goes across to the other bank's lifter galleys.

Basically, I'm taking Robyn's idea where she modified a 6.2L vac pump for the same purpose.

EWC
08-19-2008, 20:39
That should work . I cut the top off an older vac pump and turned the gears down in a lathe . Stuck it in the engine and used an air drill to run it . Started running my yap until someone pointed out that there was oil running under the engine . Yep , missed the oil feed for the pump and just drenched the top of the engine .