PDA

View Full Version : Help my 6.2 wont start!!! assuming its minor

exmilitary6.2
07-23-2008, 19:06
hey everyone new to the diesels but a long time car guy. Looks like a dang good site!!! i have a 1984 chev blazer ex military with a 6.2. It has only 39000 original miles. I drove it home ran good and went to start it today. The 'wait' light never came on and wouldnt start!!! It was puffin white out the exhaust(assuming thats normal) Im mechanically inclined if someone could just maybe point me in the direction to what it may be? Thanks alot guys.

76m880
07-23-2008, 19:12
hey everyone new to the diesels but a long time car guy. Looks like a dang good site!!! i have a 1984 chev blazer ex military with a 6.2. It has only 39000 original miles. I drove it home ran good and went to start it today. The 'wait' light never came on and wouldnt start!!! It was puffin white out the exhaust(assuming thats normal) Im mechanically inclined if someone could just maybe point me in the direction to what it may be? Thanks alot guys.

it sounds to me like the glowplug relay isnt working right

exmilitary6.2
07-23-2008, 19:14
k sorry guys lol but where is that located at? and would i be able to start this thing at all to drive it to my dads shop like with starting fluid or wont it start at all?

76m880
07-23-2008, 19:56
Do not use Starter Fluid!!!

if you need a starting aid Soak a rag in gasoline and put it over the aircleaner snout and that will start it

Robyn
07-23-2008, 20:26
OK

Does the truck have a round glow plug controler at the rear of the LH head.
This will be a little device about 4 inches long thats basically round and has a wiring harness plugged into the top of it.
This device screw into a fitting in the rear upper portion of the head.

Now there should also be a round relay on the LH fender well that looks like a Ford starter relay.

The relay should click when the key is turned to the on position.
If the relay does not click, make sure that you are getting 12v to the small primary wire that actuates the relay.

If there is no voltage there then the controler in the head is bad.
If there is voltage and no click then the relay is bad.

You can jumper the relay and see if it will click, if it clicks count to 6-8 with the relay engaged and then start the truck.

The controler is not too spendy and mosty NAPA stores have them or can get them.

The contoler threads into a little bracket at the rear of the head and is a no brainer to change.

Good luck

Robyn

exmilitary6.2
07-24-2008, 14:37
thanks alot i crossed the solinoid and it started right up. easy fix ....good. thanks again
kyle