PDA

View Full Version : Injection Pump timing with Autoenginuity

HiwayDiesel
07-23-2008, 23:57
Would someone be kind enough to write a concise, step by step instruction for setting the timing on a newly installed DS4-5521 using Autoenginuity on a laptop? I have read thru volumes of posts, and can't find two posts on the subject that read exactly the same and are complete....maybe its just my adult ADD acting up. Using what knowledge I have gleaned from reading the many posts on this subject, I still end up with 8.5 actual/8.5 desired and -.25 TDCO. I am not looking to reach the -1.94 TDCO, just the factory specs to make my old 6.5's last a few (thousand) more miles....
If anyone could describe the proper use of the TimeSet command with this scantool setup, that would be grand too.
Many thanks in advance to the intrepid soul who would take the time to help me out....

JohnC
07-24-2008, 07:43
Everyone wants to make this complicated. It's not.

In your case, advance the pump about 1/16". Warm up the engine. Perform "TDC Offset Learn." Repeat until you get the desired TDC Offset. (replace "advance" with "retard" as appropriate).

HiwayDiesel
07-24-2008, 10:16
Heck, I'm just trying to better understand the process in a way that's` uncomplicated and precise...

So the Actual/Desired Injection Pump numbers aren't important? I see most people quote a number of 3.5 with a TDCO of -.25 to -.75 (factory) or -1.30 to -1.94 (better performance), but I have a truck with 240000+ on it, never been touched that reads 9.3/9.3/-.32, so I am a bit confused on what exactly is and isn't correct.

JohnC
07-24-2008, 12:18
There's nothing you can do to affect the actual/desired values. As long as they are (almost) the same, all is well.

Different software packages seem to translate the values differently, so the actual values are often suspect.

AFAIK, when you do "Time Set" the PCM cranks the advance back to zero. This is when you would expect to see 3.5/3.5. (Or is it 0/3.5?)

The only thing you can adjust is the TDC offset. The PCM will adjust the timing as it sees fit. Desired should equal actual. As long as the pump base timing is in the right window the injection timing will be correct. If the TDC offset is in the right window, so is the base timing.

HiwayDiesel
07-24-2008, 16:04
Now that is concise.

Many thanks.

Turbine Doc
07-25-2008, 16:52
Time set & TDC offset are 2 different adjustments.

As John describes PCM normally sets the desired timing, except when in in time set.

In time set commanded PCM desired goes to 0 deg and you need to see avg of 3.5 deg in the actual time when in time set, if not IP needs to be losened; to adjust to driver side for advanced or retarded to pass side to meet 3.5 GM spec avg. in time set.

What I have found to be handy is to set for about 3.6 deg avg, as that is pretty close to where a TDC offset of -1.5 to -1.95 window is. I snug the bottom 2 studs and use the top one to lock the IP while making adjustments.

When doing them I like to warm engine to >170F so cold advance is not in play and you are running on PCM regulated timing as it see fit, then do a time set just to see where what i laike to call "base timing" is 3.5 avg actual. May or may not move it I just like to know where it is, if too retarded truck will die in this mode.

Assuming it did not die, get out of time set, check codes (TDC won't learn if any active or stored codes are in PCM or water temp is <170, better is 180 so you don't cool down while tweaking the IP),

I've never used a AE tool, but have used GM T2, if IP is "in window" you can command the learn and it will take the value of that window, hard to splain but once you are into it you'll see what I'm talking about. The window is establiched by IP position, sometimes while in learn or just before command learn you can rev engine slightly to lock the desired advance setting, if you don't have enough window size, then you'll need to rotate the IP.

OBD-II guys and no T2 or T2 cloned tool have to do this with ko/ko & APP to floor command learn mode don't have this option, always have to adjust IP & lock down until the mechanically "hit the window"