PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here work at a dealership?

derekja
07-25-2008, 11:38
I'm moving to Canada and need to find someone to write me a "recall clearance letter" on dealership letterhead so that I can import my truck.

Here is the information from Canada about the letter (http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html):

"In some cases, we will also accept a printout from an authorized American dealer. If you obtain a printout from an American dealer, you must ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question

If the printout is from an authorized American dealership, the company stamp must be affixed to the printout. In either case, the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question must be included in the letter.

If your vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls then the letter should say "this vehicle has no outstanding recalls." This letter must be presented to the RIV department prior to your Vehicle Inspection Form being released. "

My VIN is 1GCHK33F6WF009239

Can anyone here write me a letter?

Thanks!

--Derek

gavin8or
07-25-2008, 14:24
My dad has done this with several cummins, he has a thing for buying cummins in the states. Can you go to the original dealer where the truck was bought?

Yukon6.2
07-26-2008, 10:34
Hi
I'm an inspector for the "RIV" program.This is the agency that you have to deal with to import a vehical into Canada.This only apllys to vehicals that are newer than 15 yrs old.
The owner used to have to supply the recall documentation,this has been changed in the last few months,now the "RIV" agency gets the recall document directly from the manufactures.The reason fro the change is that some manufactures would charge 100's of $$$ for this when it should be free.They don't charge the "RIV" but would charge the average layperson.Every manufacures had their own rates and hoops to jump through.
The last three inspections i'v done,the recall section of the check list comes filled in from "RIV" and i didn't even see a copy of it.
If you have any outer Questions i can get my manuals and get you the answers.
It's rweally simple now compared to a fewe years ago.
Where are you moving to?
Good Luck Thomas

derekja
07-26-2008, 10:50
Oh wow, that's great news! Thanks Thomas. I'm glad it's been changed, the reason I was looking for a dealer to write me a letter was because the Chevy head office in Canada offered to write me a letter for "only" $250.

Hey maybe you can answer me a couple more questions? I've been worried about the inspection because the list of vehicles has a statement about "modified vehicles not admissible." How likely is it that I'm going to be asked to undo my hard work on this truck? It's a 1998 K3500 that has a 6" lift kit and oversized tires. I guess the intercooler and pmd re-location and boost fooler are all technically modifications as well.

I'm moving to Victoria, btw. Really excited to be back in Canada.

Thanks!

--Derek