PDA

View Full Version : How to remove and replace

unhookinghawk
07-25-2008, 12:03
Hey I've got a 94 turbo 4x4 that I just found out that I need to replace the engine. Does any one know where that I can either help getting the engine in and out without alot of probem. Or a site that I can get information that I can get information that I can print out.

Thanks
Ralph

fastboat
08-08-2008, 19:45
Ralph,
I am not a pro, but very mechanically inclined. I had a bad head gasket and didn't want to pay the 2 grand to have it done. Long story short, after I had everything off for the gasket job, I decided to keep going and pulled it. I bought a Haynes manual, and got an online subscription to alldatadiy.com, and asked lots of questions/ did lots of searching here and on other boards. I googled for pictures. There is a ridiculous amount of small brackets and different sized bolts/ studs on the engine and components. I thought I was being good about labeling things, and when it came to reinstall I had a big puzzle in my hands! I am now about to re-pull the engine for the second time because of a stupid problem. I am getting a real education on this, but unfortunately for me that is not what I need or want right now. I just want the damn thing done and running, but I'm still far from that. So yes, it can be done, but you must be VERY METHODICAL about your disassembly and organization of parts to help your reinstall go smoothly. Depending on what your problem is and what you want to spend, you may want to consider a new complete engine that you can just drop in.
As for your post here- I have been on many boards for many different vehicles in recent years, and I really have a hard time figuring this one out. I have seen the experienced members go a very long way to help people out here- including me-, going into extreme detail on many topics. Then here is your post essentially getting ignored- go figure. My impression is this: the folks here with all the knowledge- and believe me it is extensive and trustworthy- don't want to be bothered with vague or easily answered questions. They want to help people who have already tried to help themselves as best as possible through the search function and other sources. I guess I understand this to some extent. So get a little more educated on your own, and search here and other boards extensively, and you should be OK. If you ask a specific question here you should get good info. Also try thedieselPLACE.com, I found good stuff there. Good luck,
Dave

rhsub
08-08-2008, 23:51
Were are you located
give us as much info as possible about your truck ('ie' model, trans, vin code etc)and what is suppose to be the wrong with it, are you sure it needs an engine or is somebody trying to scam you.
My crystal ball is broken:D
Let us know and we will help
Ron

More Power
08-09-2008, 14:40
I try to answer unanswered questions, but don't always spot the post in time. In regards to a question about how to R&R an engine, as FB stated, a more to the point question usually results in more helpful answers (i.e. how to drain the coolant). Once that's completed, ask how to remove the radiator, and so on.

To adequately explain how to properly R&R an engine, one could fill 10's of pages with explicit instructions on how to do everything required, and which would also require photos, charts (recommended tools, torque settings, parts/sources, check lists, safety precautions, etc) and a listing for all of the expendable supplies.

To get people started, I recommend they powerwash the engine and engine compartment before beginning. I hate working on dirty nasty engines and in dirty engine bays. Cleanliness will help produce a better result.

Shoot dozens of high-res photos of your existing engine installation and during the disassembly. This'll help when re-installing the accessories.

Obtain a dozen or more plastic/paper cups/bowls etc, that will be labeled and used for the hardware for a specific assembly. For example, I place all of the starter hardware in its own labeled container. I place all of the alternator, A/C compressor, PS pump, water pump, intake manifold, etc hardware in their own labeled container.

Organize your tools on a movable/rollable work table that can be repositioned as you move around the front of the vehicle. Each tool should either be in your hand or neatly arranged on the work table. Good tool control can save you hours of looking for tools. Thinking you'll remember that you laid that 15mm end wrench on the inside of the frame rail is a big mistake.

Buy the tools you need. Having nice tools - the right tools, will make this process a lot more enjoyable, and it'll help you to produce a much better end result. You're saving big money on doing the work yourself, you can afford to invest in the right tools and in quality tools.

Take notes, draw diagrams of harness layouts, and label every electrical connector as to its location and purpose before unplugging it.

Double-check your work as you progress, including bolt/fastener torque.

Do neat work, clean off the grunge, use the recommended sealants and gaskets, and do a good job with the electrical harnesses and connectors. The end result will be something you'll take pride in.

Jim