PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Seat Back Won't Lock

joe bleaux
07-25-2008, 14:01
In my '98 Silverado, the driver's seat slides forward and backward and so does the back but the back will not lock and the handle is free.

Any ideas

Joe

Hubert
07-25-2008, 15:07
I assume manual seats???

The entry mechanism unlocks a compound slide. Well actually the little entry lever unlocks the seat back. The seat back then is attached to a cable. The seat then provides the lever to pull the cable that releases the compound slide. The cable probably broke and or the a spring that allows the entry mechanism to lock back.

My passenger side seat the cable broke that leads to the compound slide. But the seat still locks ok. It will only slide forward the seat adjustment distance then I have to manually unlock the secondary slide.

So I would look into that. Its a slick little mechanism that you might miss the compound part on a glance; I did. But if you get down under there you should be able to figure it out.

But if something gets under there and or it sticks and the compound slide doesn't lock then the seat will move forwards and backwards on the secondary slide. I have found its best to make sure my seat is adjusted fully forward then it doesn't have to slide so far back to catch the secondary slide. If I remeber correctly the back stays loose when the secondary slide is unlocked.

Hubert
07-25-2008, 15:21
On reread yep its probably the secondary compound slide issue. If it gets dusty and grimey under there or trash gets in way it won't lock in and it slides on secondary track.

The cable could have also broke and bound up so the it can't re-engage the lock.

Same scenerio above you'll have to "climb under there" and watch for the secondary slide lock in and adjust accordingly. Watch you fingers there are some sharp edges and plenty of pinch points.

joe bleaux
07-25-2008, 16:20
Thanks, Hubert.

I was testing the thing and all of a sudden, it started locking. We haven't used the truck much at all so, maybe it just needed exercising.

I will try see see where I can lubricate it.

Thanks for your help.

Today, has not been a good day. First, I put in a 105 PLUS degree variable orifice valve, pulled a vacuum on the a/c system for hours just to make sure of boiling any water out. Shut off vacuum pump and let it sit for a few hours, it held vacuum so, I put in exactly 3 cans of R134a and it cooled greatly. This system has uv dye in it. So, after letting it run, the low pressure cycling switch 'brand new, began cycling. Jumpered it and stayed on. NO COOLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL OF THE FREON LEAKED OUT!!!!

I just don't know. I am jinxed.

Going to wait for dark and put a uv light on it.

Joe

On reread yep its probably the secondary compound slide issue. If it gets dusty and grimey under there or trash gets in way it won't lock in and it slides on secondary track.

The cable could have also broke and bound up so the it can't re-engage the lock.

Same scenerio above you'll have to "climb under there" and watch for the secondary slide lock in and adjust accordingly. Watch you fingers there are some sharp edges and plenty of pinch points.