PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem help?

Greaser
07-26-2008, 20:53
I have been having a problem with a starter since I put it on. Sometimes it would just click and not turn the truck over, if you flick it eventually it would start. I have checked various things while having this problem just to have it not happen for a while then out of the blue just freak out again. Finally the truck would not start and the starter wouldn't even click. I got out my test light and checked for power from the ign. switch to starter and nothing. While my wife was going from the run position to the start position so I could search for power the guage cluster went dead. We turned the key off and back on and nothing is working except some accessories (int. fan, radio, wipers). My glow plugs don't cycle, the fuel pump does not cycle, nothing? I have been told possibly in. switch or fuseable links. Any one had a simular problem or have any suggestions?
The vehicle is a 1995 Sub. 3/4 ton.

Thanks

d.h.
07-26-2008, 21:38
Try checking passenger side battery where double positives connect. These can be a source of problem as will look good until you take completly apart.This has happened to me before.I use a wire wheel or brush and clean all sides. Hope this helps
Dave

JohnC
07-28-2008, 13:01
The ignition switches on these models have been known to fail from time to time, but check all the battery connections first...

Greaser
07-29-2008, 19:02
I have checked the terminals and rechecked the fuses. My ignition fuse blew for some reason.(40amp) Since I put the fuse in the starter has not acted up again. It has done the same thing for about a year now. If I have another problem I am going o replace the ignition switch. Does anyone know of any way to check the switch? Well atleast at this point it is running.:o
Thanks