PDA

View Full Version : Rough ride help

j080808
08-04-2008, 14:27
Trying to figure out a way to take some harshness out of my 2006 2500 HD CC's suspension.

Today I drove an 2004 with some Monroe shocks we have here at my office and I realized just how harsh my truck is. I already have Bilstiens on mine, aside from going to a lower load rated tire or less PSI, are there any other alternatives? Does the fact that one of my options is the camper package dictate stiffer springs (that could potentially be swapped-out)?

Any insight is appreciated.

More Power
08-05-2008, 10:47
Generally, the CC's ride pretty well. The rear axle is still a lot of unsprung weight, but the Bilsteins generally help tame the ride.

I'd guess that if you have the optional rear leaf springs, that is the problem. It's a trade-off to get a higher load carrying capability. If you don't need the extra capacity, a standard set of leaf springs would help. The standard set of springs and the addition of airbags are a good compromise that gives you the best of both worlds.

Jim

conway
08-05-2008, 11:11
Look at installing Silastic hangers/Shackles.

j080808
08-06-2008, 12:01
Thanks both for your insight, I truly appreciate it.

mattb5150
08-08-2008, 12:20
Conway,

Can you point us to a place that sells the Silastic products. I did a Google Search and read about DuPont Silastic but no shackles or hangers?

Matt

conway
08-08-2008, 16:54
www.norcaltruck.com

mattb5150
08-09-2008, 23:19
Norcal truck is close by, looks like The Sulastic is mfg in San Jose, even closer maybe I'll buy factory direct! Conway do you have them? If so how do they ride and are they worth the $350?

Matt

conway
08-12-2008, 14:46
I do not. I am ordering them for the 07 truck as my first wife (probably also my last) sometimes drives it (she's a classic so I do not have any plans on trading her in). I have had feedback from others that have installed them and they have said that the ride is as comfortable as a passenger car w/o any loss of towing capability.

moss6
08-12-2008, 17:48
I put Monroe Sensatrac's on our 06' 2500HD last week end and am amazed at the difference over the stock shocks (only 30'000 miles old). They make it a totally different truck, much smoother with a night and day difference in recovery time and overall handling is improved. Best description is just a lot more solid without the bounce and sway. Raised the torsion bars two turns at the same time and I also think that attitude adjustment helped things, not so nose down.
Randy

mattb5150
10-26-2008, 12:45
Installed the Sulastic shackles last weekend and I really like the way they ride. Now it seems as though I can feel the road bumps more severely in the front than the rear.

Matt

DmaxMaverick
10-26-2008, 12:54
Installed the Sulastic shackles last weekend and I really like the way they ride. Now it seems as though I can feel the road bumps more severely in the front than the rear.

Matt

We can't win for losing. It's always something.

Conversation with an old man......

Young man:
"Your truck sure is dirty. You should at least wash your windshield."

Old man:
"Did once. Sun got in my eyes."

Kennedy
10-27-2008, 07:11
A good set of std Bilsteins will go a long way to improve the ride also.

1blubyu
10-29-2008, 07:55
Maybe the load rating on the tires? I changed from E's to D's and noticed a smoother ride.

mattb5150
10-29-2008, 11:21
Have had Bilstein's since first week after getting truck. It does ride pretty well now.

Matt

Kennedy
10-30-2008, 08:43
I'm not a fan of under rating the tires. There's just too much that can go wrong. Keep them E rated. You never think of the tires being under rated when you go to help someone move, lend the truck to your in laws, buddies, haul a big load for a friend. Add to that when you sell the truck the next guy probably won't know or notice the E versus D thing.

I will say that Michelin tires definitely seem to have a superior ride in my experience. I really like the LTX MS. I have the LTX AT2 on my 05 now and they seem pretty good, but really pick up and throw stones.