PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap Batman! Diesels rock!

drm
08-05-2008, 14:38
Over the years, I have towed my 6000# travel trailer through Durango, CO to Ouray, CO and back with a Silverado 1500, a Suburban 1500, and my new GMC 2500 Duramax. If you have never driven it you've missed out on some beautiful mountains and three 10,000+ foot passes.

What an incredible difference the 2500 makes! I used to have my foot to the floorboards to make 25 - 30 mph on the climbs with the 5.3L gas engines. I never reached the floor with the gas pedal with the diesel.

The tow/haul mode was incredible. Downhill grades were always a challenge with the gas engines. It took concentration and care to navigate them. With the 2500 you just tap the brake pedal if you are going a little fast and the transmission does an aggressive downshift. Still going too fast for those 15mph 180 degree 8% grade turns? Tap the brake, it downshifts again and you're good.

Plus, We have to drive 550 to Albuquerque and 25 south to southern NM. Long straight (boring) drives with lots of mild ups and downs plus a few huge arroyos. The gas engines would get 10mpg at 65 with constant shifting, quite often pulling 5000 rpms on fairly level ground. The diesel hums along at 75, rarely downshifts and gets 12mpg.

Pulling with the 2500 was so effortless and stable that we even let our 17yr old drive for 3 hours to give me a break. My wife doesn't even mind driving now.

I love this truck!

Jim

More Power
08-05-2008, 15:35
Welcome to the board!

You've discovered (and described quite well) why the new diesels are so popular with those who tow.

All it takes is a test drive with a trailer in tow to convince the most committed gas engine advocate.... ;)

Jim

Mark Rinker
08-05-2008, 16:54
My first towing experience with the Duramax was so similar to yours, that I built a small company around them - and have been driving back and forth across the US towing heavy stuff ever since...

If you care to slow down to whatever speed 1800 rpm will give you, I bet your mileage jumps up ~2-3mpg over 75mph cruise.

Amazing, isn't it? :) Welcome aboard!

drm
08-05-2008, 19:37
If you care to slow down to whatever speed 1800 rpm will give you, I bet your mileage jumps up ~2-3mpg over 75mph cruise.We camp with 2 other couples and they can't keep up with their gas engines so we went 65 on the way up north. We all took different routes home and we were doing 525 miles in a day so we took speed over economy...

Jim

lb7lbz
08-06-2008, 09:21
my situation is similar to marks.drove isuzu box trucks to deliver my product for 5 years. after driving a duramax i immediatly bought a 20 foot enclosed trailer and put it behind the truck.wow what a difference. now i pass people going up hills instead of being passed,and if any of you have ever ridden in a cab over you know how they ride.i can also tell you a programmer will help your milage out. i put a diablosport in the truck at 220k and picked up 1mpg towing plus way more power,welcome to the site and enjoy your truck