PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on how to keep air out of fuel filter?

lmholmes11
08-05-2008, 15:20
I wrote a couple of weeks ago about how my truck stalled going down the highway. Well I changed the fuel filter and it seems to be running fine. I am going on another long trip this weekend and I am looking for suggestions on what i could put around the seal of the fuel filter to keep air out. Any suggestions?

lmholmes11

DmaxMaverick
08-05-2008, 16:00
The only option you have with an OEM system is to find and fix the leak. If the filter is leaking, it is either not properly installed, or the filter assy is damaged. There is no "remedy" to keep it from leaking. Either it does, or it doesn't. If it isn't leaking now, it isn't likely going to until you do something (like a filter change) to make it leak.

lmholmes11
08-06-2008, 14:55
ok thanks!

Rick Henderson
08-06-2008, 15:28
Did someone mention maybe the o-ring was not installed correctly or one was left on when the filter was last changed?

lmholmes11
08-07-2008, 17:49
when I took the old filter off, there wasnt even an o ring there. Could it be stuck up in the filter assembly? I felt up there and couldnt feel one.

DmaxMaverick
08-07-2008, 21:00
It's possible a seal got stuck on the filter assy. There are 3 seals associated with a filter service, and all 3 need to be accounted for. There is the WIF O-ring, which is the smaller of the 2 O-rings that come with a new filter. Then, there's the nipple grommet, which is a ~1.25" rubber grommet attached to the center hole at the top of the filter element. Lastly, there is the large canister seal O-ring, which fits into the groove at the top/outer of the filter canister. If you are missing or didn't see any one of these, it would surely cause issues. The engine won't run without them in the right place, and any "extras" will also cause issues.

jbplock
08-08-2008, 09:32
In addition to the 3 seals DM mentioned there is also an O-ring on the drain plug located on the WIF sensor. This isn't normally removed when changing a filter but it's worth checking.. a little silicone grease or Parker Super-O-Lube on all seals works well

DmaxMaverick
08-08-2008, 10:55
In addition to the 3 seals DM mentioned there is also an O-ring on the drain plug located on the WIF sensor. This isn't normally removed when changing a filter but it's worth checking.. a little silicone grease or Parker Super-O-Lube on all seals works well

Excellent point! Out of sight, out of mind. It is not normally serviced, but certainly could cause issues if it isn't sealing properly. Grease is a good idea (I use dielectric grease on it).

lmholmes11
08-08-2008, 13:53
ok thanks guys, its been running good so far, so hopefully it keeps it up! Thanks again