PDA

View Full Version : IS THIS TRUE.....

panchosteam
10-19-2003, 12:16
HI GUYS JUST A FEW QUESTIONS : IS IT TRUE THAT I NEED THE ECM IN ORDER FOR MY TURBO TO WORK PROPERLY, I HAVE A 1996 ENGINE WITH A GM5 TURBO AND MECHANICAL PUMP, THAT IS IN MY 1984 GMC PICK UP TRUCK I DONT BELIEVE THAT,WOULD THE EXAHUST PIPE FIT?(THE PIPE THAT COMES OUT OF THE TURBO)HAS ANY BODY DONE THIS KIND OF MODIFICATION?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP GUYS.

Uncle Wally
10-19-2003, 16:44
The wastegate controls for your present turbo are vacuum controlled via the original PCM. You can get a Turbo Master from Bill Heath (or make your own) to mechanically control the waste gate. It's not tough.

Have fun,
Waldo

panchosteam
10-19-2003, 20:13
Thank you uncle wally , do you know how i can make my controler for the wastegate? i really don't have an idea of doing that, or do you know how much it runs from heith?

panchosteam
10-19-2003, 20:14
sorry on the miss spealing heath not heith.

cruzer
10-20-2003, 05:28
A turbo-Master is about $70. I few people have made them. I bought mine and it works great.

autocrosser
10-20-2003, 07:11
You can use the Heath waste gate controller $63 postage included and then get rid of the vacuum pump by using a earlier model belt. I believe it's a 91/92 or 92/93 series truck belt. Its shorter and will bypass the pump. You only need the vac pum pump for the waste gate and EGR valve which can also be blocked off.

panchosteam
10-20-2003, 08:35
Thank you autocrosser, looks like we might have the same engine,i could probably survive with out taking off the bacuum, just keep it there and not conect it, or use it for some thing else

whatnot
10-20-2003, 11:06
Doesen't an 84 truck use vacuum for the HVAC controls? If so, you will need to keep the vacuum pump.

panchosteam
10-20-2003, 19:10
HI GUYS,
WHATNOT,YES THE 84 HAS THE VACUUM PUMP TO DRIVE THOSE THINGS, I HAVE IT FROM MY OLD ENGINE AND IS GOING ON THE 96 ENGINE, I ALSO HAVE THAT ON THIS 6.5, IS IN FRONT OF THE ENGINE. TODAY WHEN I WAS TRYING TO PUT THINGS TOGETHER I RAN IN TO A PROBLEM: THE CROSS OVER PIPE FROM HEAD TO HEAD FOR THE WATER TO GET IN TO THE ENGINE FROM THE TOP OF THE RADIATOR IS TO BIG AND IS ON THE WAY FOR MY THROTTLE ASSAMBLEY OF MY 6.2 (GOING MECHANICAL)SO, I TOOK THE OLD ONE AND MESSURE THE SIZE, AND THE ORIGINAL FROM THE 6.5 IS LARGER, MORE WATER FLOWS INTO THE 6.5, THE CROSS OVER PIPE FROM THE 6.2 IS SMALLER THAN THE 6.5 AND ALSO I NOTICE THAT THE WATER PASSAGE COMING DOWN TO THE WATER PUMP IS LARGER ON THIS ENGINE THAN ON THE 6.2, ANY BODY HAS AN IDEA OF HOW I CAN FIX THIS ? ALSO SOME BODY RECOMENDED TAKING THE TURBO OF THIS ENGINE FOR NOW, SO I CAN GET IT TO RUN, WOULD MY 6.2 MANIFOLDS FIT ON MY 6.5 ENGINE? IF THEY DO THEN I'LL WAIT FOR THE TURBO TO BE FINISH WHEN I GET MORE MONEY, HE SAYS THAT I ONLY GET 10 MORE HORSE POWER WITH THE TURBO AND THIS ENGINE GIVES ABOUT 190 IS THIS TRUE? THANK YOU GUYS

1984 SIERRA CLASIC 3/4 PICK UP
NOW CONVERTED TO 6.5

Kidd
10-20-2003, 19:42
If I remember correctly the NA version of the 6.5 was rated at 160 hp.
K.D.

whatnot
10-20-2003, 20:40
Do you have the dual thermostats on the 96 engine? I think More Power suggested just removing the fast idle solenoid and turning up the idle speed.

Also,
Are you using the serpentine belt or V-belts? Did the 96 engine come with a fan on it?

autocrosser
10-21-2003, 06:21
Doesen't an 84 truck use vacuum for the HVAC controls? If so, you will need to keep the vacuum pump.

I guess I didn't check the year of the truck so he will still need the vacuum. Had 96 truck on the brain.

panchosteam
10-21-2003, 08:27
HI GUYS, THANK YOU K.D. AND
WHATNOT,I DON'T REALLY KNOW IF I HAVE DUAL THERMOSTATS, I'LL CHECK ON THAT ,IM TRYING TO KEEP MY CRUISE CONTROL, STILL WORKS, AND YES I'M TRYING TO USE THE SERPENTINE BELT, STILL NEED A POWER STEERING PUMP THAT CAME WITH THIS ENGINE, WHEN I GOT THIS ENGINE IT DIDN'T HAVE THE ALTERNATOR AND MOUNTING BRACKET FOR IT (PASSENGER SIDE),NO IP, NO BRACKET FOR THE POWER STEERING AND A/C COMPRESSOR, I NOW HAVE THE BRACKET AND A/C COMPRESSOR, TODAY I'LL TRY TO FIGURE ABOUT THE GM5 TURBO ISSUE,TAKE IT OFF OR LEAVE IT AND I'LL CHECK ABOUT THE INTAKE MANIFOLD, IF MY OLD ONE FITS ON THIS ENGINE MAYBE I WILL WAIT TO SET UP THE TURBO, I ALSO HAVE TO CHECK ON THE EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, WELL GUYS I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED LATER .
HAVE A NICE DAY!

1984 SIERRA CLASIC PICK UP NOW WITH
1996 6.5 TD ENGINE

whatnot
10-21-2003, 09:10
The exhaust manifolds from the 6.2 will fit.
I was wondering about the fan because the one from the 84 engine won't work. (the water pumps spin opposite directions)

If you do have the dual thermostats, this thread might help. click here (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004514)

panchosteam
10-21-2003, 14:40
HI whatnot:
I just looked inside the crossover and yes it has dual thermostats, i saw your link is real good ,i was trying to keep my cruise control and every thing else that i could,i installed the crossover from my old engine and it fits,but now the crossover is on the way for the a/c compressor bracket and i just got it from the dealer ,well i'll try some thing else and put the original one back,i'm still thinking about the turbo, maybe if i could get the cross over and the exhaust coming from the turbo i will probably keep it but i just dont know where to get the parts and i'm geting desperate to test this engine well that is it for now . thank you