PDA

View Full Version : 96 Suburban factory radio not working ?

96ccdd
08-06-2008, 16:48
I just remove my factory radio to install a new antenna and the radio no longer works. It has power on a yellow wire which when the fuse is removed it goes dead. What I mean by it no longer works is I have no display, no clock, nothing at all. Just as if it had no power at all. I thought if it was in loc mode you still have a display, but the radio just does not work.

Thanks,
Mark

diesel65
08-06-2008, 20:42
Recheck your fuses, Check #17 and #19.
The fuse you located is for the memory, schematic shows it as a white wire thats hot at all times. There is a orange wire that should be hot when the ignition key is in the run or accy position.

EdHale
08-07-2008, 03:12
I had a '98 Suburban and if power is removed to the radio it must have a 4 digit security code entered after power is restored before it will work. This was a theft measure at the time. I had to contact the dealer who gave me the code after I replaced my two batteries the first time. I wrote the code on the front of the owners manual and kept it in the Suburban for the next time I needed it. Ed

96ccdd
08-07-2008, 13:33
Well I forgot about the constant 12vdc, replaced the fuse and all looked fine. Until I turned it on the volume went to max then dropped to a very low level. I now have no volume control. Then radio will repeat the max / min volume thing. Now what is the radio shot, it was working fine before I removed it.

Thanks,
Mark

diesel65
08-08-2008, 20:17
It is possible the radio could be bad but as you said it was working, try unplugging the radio and see if it will reset.

Ed, when you remove the power and the radio locks it will display "Loc".