PDA

View Full Version : New problem Miss fire

dheavychevy38
08-07-2008, 07:33
Ok I have a 97 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with 114,000 on the ticker. I went from dumping excessive black smoke to haveing a miss when i am at idle or for the first 1/4 mile the truck is ran any ideas would be great thanks denny

rameye
08-07-2008, 08:38
while it running crack the injector nuts to find the missing cylinder...

pull the injector have it checked....bore scope the cylinder...look for anything bad...if all checks out then check compression...

pretty much if you have fuel being delivered and compression you have diesel!

dheavychevy38
08-07-2008, 10:20
the main problem is it isn't all the time. While i took it to lunch today it threw a check engine light so when i get a chance i am going to put my scanner on it

dheavychevy38
08-07-2008, 10:54
Ok i just scanned it and got a p0370a Timing referance high resolution I have no clue other than it is out of time some how or maybe that cam sensor any help would be great thanks Denny

dheavychevy38
08-07-2008, 14:45
Well i talked to a local 6.5 guru and he says that code is for the injection pump but me and him don't think it is the pump its self. The only thing i have noticed is that the hose with the t handled valve on it is wet but the handle is closed so. Well i have no clue or ride home :mad:

rameye
08-07-2008, 18:42
wet T handle is not your culprit....

If the problem is intermittant I would steer away froma mechanical failure for the moment and start looking electrical....find, grind, clean, protect all grounds and batt connections...check big connectors at rear of engine by the filter..break-em apart and check em....wiggle the wires while she idles ...can you make the problem appear???

could be a pump starting to act up....seeing your getting codes now....it's getting worse I assume.

rule out the cheap stuff as outlined...before breaking out the AMEX!