PDA

View Full Version : quick lube mess up!!!! long..

Shad
01-18-2004, 18:01
This is not a diesel but my sister-inlaw needs my help. She called me up and said her 97 lumina was hesitating/missing, so I went over to take a look. Instantly I found the air snorkel between the air filter and intake completly off. So then she told me quick lube had changed the oil and air filter 4 days 300 miles ago. Now it is missing and burning oil which makes me think something got into the intake. I am going with her to quicklube tomorrow to show them what I found. I feel they are resposible for the air filter screwup. What would you guys do? She dosent have much money and I dont want her to be taken for a ride. please help

EscaladeDiesel
01-18-2004, 18:31
Hopefully that "quick-lube" establishment is where she usually goes and has a rapport. If so, she can establish the fact that nobody anyone else has worked or touched the vehicle since she brought it in. Expect them to say that they didn't do it, and that they NEVER make mistakes. You could also call the BBB to see if anyone has filed a complaint in order to establish if they have had problems before. Again, it's just ammunition for you if they don't take responsibility. Hopefully they will, but chances are they will refer you to the "Corporate Offices" and pass the buck.

rapidoxidationman
01-18-2004, 18:33
Several months ago a friend of mine took his car to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. A few miles down the road from their shop a piston rod came out of his engine... The oil filter had not been screwed on tight, and Jiffy Lube bought him a new engine. I'd definitely talk to the shop's manager; this is assuming that the snorkel had to be removed to do the service they performed.
Good Luck!
Rapid

DmaxMaverick
01-18-2004, 18:34
Sorry to hear of it.

It would take something pretty substantial to screw up an engine that bad in 300 miles. You really need to know just what is wrong that is making the engine miss and use oil, to be sure that it is not just what was done at the quick lube place. It should also be setting codes like crazy. The MAF is out of the loop and throws everything off.

That being said, definately hold that place responsible. They should have insurance to cover such things. With it only being 4 days, it shouldn't be too difficult to convince anyone that whatever was done, or left undone, was their doing. At any rate, insist that any repair they suggest is done at the dealership, not their "recommended" shop.

If it's any comfort, I had an experience recently involving my wife's 2000 Impala. Went out to start it one morning, and no go. Cranked 'til I just about killed the battery but no start. The car had fresh air, oil, and fuel filter since a recent service. Everything checked out, but no fire. The car is under warranty, so I had it towed to the dealer for a checkout, thinking it was the fuel pump, since it wasn't working. Turns out, a critter (AWOL at the time) made a home in the engine compartment during the 3 days it sat and chewed on one of the wire harnesses. The dealer fixed it up, but denied a warranty claim (couldn't really argue with them). There is a good side to the story. My insurance comprehensive coverage did cover the repair, minus my deductible.

If the quick lube place denies any responsiblity, contact your insurance company (if you have that option). At the very least, they will be able to help getting it straightened out.

Good luck to your sis-in-law.

Shad
01-18-2004, 19:30
They had to take that snorkel off to change the air filter....Sis in law also said it was 10 min. before closing time when she had it in. Well I guess I'll see what quick lube has to say. Just hate situations like this. It is a small local shop (small town) with a penzoil quick lube bay. I thought of doing some more checking the engine myself but thought they should check it first without me touching it just in case it would end up in court or something. They have diagnostic equip. there so maybe they can tell me more. Thankyou for your experiences and replies.

DmaxMaverick
01-18-2004, 21:32
Open the hood and take pictures. Lots of pictures. Just in case it does end up in the kangaroo pen.

patrick m.
01-19-2004, 20:02
if this Lumina should happen to have a "3800" eng, they probably re-installed the pcv valve incorrectly.
Even if they didnt "push" a new one on your sister, they surely took it out to get a look.

good luck with the situation, and suggest to your sister that she find a competent, local independent shop (we take more pride in our work)

having said that, everyone makes mistakes.

rjwest
01-20-2004, 04:42
If I go to a quick lube. Thats all I get.

NEVER,NEVER let them pull the air filter, Especially on a Diesel.......

AND I Watch them, They still go for the filter after I tell them not to in advance......