PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler and Goodyear "Hi-Miler" hose?

DennisG01
08-07-2008, 17:56
Long story short (and a long trip :(), I kept losing an intercooler hose on the way back from vacation. Eventually, found a shop that was open and purchased a short section a Goodyear Hi-Miler radiator hose. Used a little hair spray as an extra precaution and it worked out fine.

Question is this: Can I leave that hose on there permanently or should I replace it with a true intercooler hose? It seems to be a pretty good product.

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=10528

It says not to use it for oil transfer, but will the miniscule amount that flows through the intercooler system be a problem?

joed
08-08-2008, 06:17
It might be okay for the 'cool' side of the intercooler since temps are lower.

I had to install a similar radiator hose on one trip, it was on the first section mounted right on the turbo. It didn't last long (maybe a couple months) due to the high heat/pressures coming right from the turbo. The silicon hoses that come with the IC seem to handle the heat better. Also, I don't think this type of hose can 'flex' as much and will be more susceptible to vibration and higher air pressures.

Based on my experience you might carry it as a back up and try to adjust the pipes/silicon hoses/clamps for a better, more reliable fit.

Joe.

Robyn
08-08-2008, 07:07
The special reinforced silicon hose is the best material for the task.

This hose has internal reinforcing that allows it to handle the pressure and the silicon will deal with the oil and the heat.

There are even some new hose types that have a fine steel braid in them for the high pressure systems.

Some of the new Big truck stuff (class 8) are running pressures up to 50 PSI on the turbo's and plain old turbo hose just goes POP in short order.

Best

Robyn

DennisG01
08-08-2008, 14:46
The hose is apparently rated for 300*, but based on what the two of you say, it sounds like it would be a good idea to change it out "just to be safe". It's mounted right on the turbo like yours was, Joe.

Besides, this isn't all that expensive and the company said it's good to atleast 80psi: http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=H40B-250&Category_Code=HHS6

Thanks for your help!

GMC Hauler
08-10-2008, 03:31
The hose is apparently rated for 300*, but based on what the two of you say, it sounds like it would be a good idea to change it out "just to be safe". It's mounted right on the turbo like yours was, Joe.

Besides, this isn't all that expensive and the company said it's good to atleast 80psi: http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=H40B-250&Category_Code=HHS6

Thanks for your help!

I have heard others say that that hose at the turbo does pop off. I believe it is due to the exhaust manifold heating the hose and making it hot and soft. I wrapped my turbo hose with some high temp silver reflective wrap and i have had no problems for a year and a half.

DennisG01
08-11-2008, 06:25
Thanks - that's an interesting idea. I suppose it might not be bad to wrap the rest of that first IC pipe (coming off the turbo). Or maybe even have it ceramic coated?