PDA

View Full Version : New Heath performance chip is awesome

Tomar
04-30-2004, 16:24
got word that Bill Heath was working on a new performance chip for the 6.5 turbo diesel. So I called and ask him if it was true. He said yes he has been working on it for 6 months and finally finished it.I had him send me one.He said that they were available about a week ago.Put the chip in went for a ride.Serious power.The truck runs so much smoother and has a power band from the minute you touch the pedal all the way to the floor.There is no flat spot.I have alot of chips such as DZ industries,J.K's chip, and also have heath's maxi tork chip that iwas using.This chip blows all the other ones away.Just wanted to share this with any one looking to purchase a performance chip or looking for a better one than what you have know.

gwaidman
04-30-2004, 18:26
Sweet! I just ordered a Heath chip two days ago. I hope it is the "new" flavour. If it works like his other products do, I know I will be satisfied. What do think it added to the numbers?? :D

Perry
04-30-2004, 21:03
I just installed the new Heath ECM yesterday and I agree its pretty awesome. Even with just easy driving around town, I can feel the difference especially after the tranny shifts into 2nd. My Sub used to feel flat initially in 2nd so I would use more throttle to keep the revs up to 1900-2100 before the 1-2 shift. With the new ECM, it now pulls strong after the shift, even with light throttle. In just 24 hours, I noticed my driving habits have already changed with the new ECM. In town, I'm now really light on the throttle while accelerating, keeping the rev's usually below 1600 and actually keeping up with traffic.

When getting on the highway while testing out the ECM, I used about 1/3 throttle and the engine just took off. Its never rev'd up so fast before, jumping up to 2300 rpm and the tranny now shifts between 2-3 and 3-4 pretty firm with authority.

I also like how the Sub now feels on hills which we have a lot of in Seattle. On the highway, even going 60mph locked in OD, it didn't lose speed, and even with just a little bit of throttle, it could even accelerate without unlocking. Before the ECM upgrade, the Sub would slow down on those hills at 60mph, or if you added the appropriate amount of throttle to keep the speed, the torque converter would unlock.

I haven't tried a full throttle accel test yet, but I did try a sudden 1/2 open throttle from a stop, I thought I was going to light up the tires. If diesel wasn't at $1.91/gal, I probably would be using the go pedal more, but even in the super light throttle fuel saver mode, I'm very happy with the new Heath ECM upgrade.

Perry

G. Gearloose
05-01-2004, 02:55
Add me to the list of happy heath ecm owners. Yet to quantify the performance but so far....

Wheeeeeeee! :D

Great cure for the factory whezer tuning.

walkerv8
05-01-2004, 05:44
and the price $$$ ???

greetings,
Michael

1997 K1500
L56->L65,
exhaust,
special injetors,
... :)

MJEasly
05-01-2004, 05:59
Will it run with a gear drive and timing set to -1.94?

Turbine Doc
05-01-2004, 15:35
Got my reflashed Heath PCM installed this morning.

Sha-Zam it cures what ails ya, only one run so far with it installed; kid on Christmas morning syndrome, had to check it out. Now I got to go back and read the instructions ;) .

Ran with factory vac. boost control, will reinstall TM and Kennedy control to see what differences with those boost now a sustained 12-13psi, also will run with my scanner installed and take more snapshots for compairison to shots with 99 GM L65 program.

But from 1st run I am most pleased with the result, throttle & boost are nearly more linear, put APP closer to the floor, more boost, more power, more speed big grins :D :D . What is different is that the boost and acceleration don't drop off; as long as you are asking for more you get it. Gear changes are solid and crisp you can actually seat of pant feel gear changes.

A resounding 2 thumbs up for this reflashed program.

S\W Off Road
05-01-2004, 18:55
I got my chip from Bill about 6 months ago, I wonder if he would give me any credit for it to up-grade to the new?

Turbine Doc
05-01-2004, 19:28
I asked Bill same question myself this afternoon for another friend with old program, Bill said it was possible, you might want to give him a call.

S\W Off Road
05-01-2004, 19:48
I think I will ask him. I just checked Heathdiesel.com and found this: The Max-E-Tork is offered with a 3 month satisfaction guarantee and a 3 year, free replacement warranty!

norm
05-02-2004, 07:27
How would you all say just a (Heath) chip would work with otherwise stock truck exc. for high flow air filter w/box mods, and high(er) flow 3" exhaust? I am on a tight budget, but want to get power and durability one step at a time...

G. Gearloose
05-02-2004, 07:34
norm I'd say Bill would set you up just fine..Your lucky, you just need the chip not the ecm.

Cooperrw
05-02-2004, 18:09
You guys with the new ECM's have motivated me, I'll be giving Mr. Heath a call tomorrow morning smile.gif ..............now all I have to do is come up with a good reason to tell my wife why the truck can not be driven until the ECM returns. :eek:

Phil Holmen
05-02-2004, 20:08
Norm, my truck is would be similar to yours, seeing as I have my upper intake gutted, air box, cleaned up, disabled egr (for offroad only) ;) flow through 3" exhaust. I did also add a turbomaster at the same time, and removed my vaccum pump. If there is anthing else you would like to know drop me a line p_holmen at hotmail dot com. It is sometimes to easy to miss a post here if you are not here a couple times a day. Although I usually am, but what the hey....

norm
05-03-2004, 03:30
Thanks, Phil. And for you and the others, with the computer (supposedly) controlling the boost through the vacuum TWS, is it necessary to use the mechanical control, or mainly for reliability and consistency with the boost? JK seems to say just the chip, while Heath seems to say get both (on the web-sites, anyway).

Turbine Doc
05-03-2004, 05:19
Norm,
The reflash works with either vac control or TM,

Phil what levels of boost are you hitting with your TM, I've not run TM only yet but with Kennedy & vac. control I'm hitting 15+ lb boost by gauge (I've got some anomalies with pcm boost reading, I think I have a bad MAP sensor offset hi) PCM says Im making 20psi boost when gage say 15, did a couple of data runs last nite,@ 76mph hit 417'lb torque @ 2600 rpm as calculated by PCM read on my snap on scanner before running out of road.

dieseldummy
05-03-2004, 10:42
How much fuel does the Heath ecm put out? According to the scanner stock it 64cc's of fuel max, just wondering how much more fuel the performence program puts out.

Turbine Doc
05-03-2004, 12:04
I've seen 81.6mm as my highest so far

Phil Holmen
05-03-2004, 15:41
Right now I have my TM set to max out at 15psi, although it won't stay there for long, on a good hard pull with my 5'er on it will sit steady at about 12-13 if I wanna push it that hard, I have played with it a little to see the effects of boost levels compared to smoke output and egt's. I am happy with the way it is set, now if I can only get the intercooler finished and hooked up I will be laughing. I e-mailed Bill is gonna offer deal to repeat customers to reflash new chips, just gotta drop him a line.