PDA

View Full Version : Converting a york ac compressor for onboard air

DA BIG ONE
08-26-2004, 13:32
I had seen some information years ago on converting a YORK ac compressor into and on board air system complete w/aluminum air tank.

Any of you know of how this is done, or is there a better compressor for the job that will bolt to a 99 6.5 TD?

oka065
08-26-2004, 16:10
G/Day DA BIG ONE, I have been using a SANDEN compressor for a lot of years with success. In the last one I used a synthetic based lube additive, turn the comp over by hand to get a good coating on all the working parts & then drain out the excess. If you use the comp alot I would do this regular, like every 10 hours of use. I an going to be fitting a 6.5 to my vehicle in the next 3 months & will be fitting a Sanden to it for air.

Good Luck

DA BIG ONE
08-27-2004, 03:27
Originally posted by oka065:
G/Day DA BIG ONE, I have been using a SANDEN compressor for a lot of years with success. In the last one I used a synthetic based lube additive, turn the comp over by hand to get a good coating on all the working parts & then drain out the excess. If you use the comp alot I would do this regular, like every 10 hours of use. I an going to be fitting a 6.5 to my vehicle in the next 3 months & will be fitting a Sanden to it for air.

Good Luck I was thinking YORK because the compressor crankcase holds its own oil.

JohnC
08-27-2004, 08:18
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
[QUOTE]I was thinking YORK because the compressor crankcase holds its own oil. I used to work on cars that used York compressers for AC. Great compressor, but there wasn't a mount made that couldn't be broke... (sounds like a country-western song). I guess the reciprical nature caused a lot of vibration. Most failures resulted from the bottom of the crankcase vibrating loose and loosing all the oil. Maybe for intermitent operation it wouldn't be so bad... YMMV

DA BIG ONE
08-27-2004, 10:55
Originally posted by JohnC:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:

I was thinking YORK because the compressor crankcase holds its own oil. I used to work on cars that used York compressers for AC. Great compressor, but there wasn't a mount made that couldn't be broke... (sounds like a country-western song). I guess the reciprical nature caused a lot of vibration. Most failures resulted from the bottom of the crankcase vibrating loose and loosing all the oil. Maybe for intermitent operation it wouldn't be so bad... YMMV </font>Surely, food for thought!
Thanks

CareyWeber
08-27-2004, 11:59
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
I had seen some information years ago on converting a YORK ac compressor into and on board air system complete w/aluminum air tank.

Any of you know of how this is done, or is there a better compressor for the job that will bolt to a 99 6.5 TD? Do a google search on "On Board Air" or "OBA" you can ind MANY examples.

I have an OBA and OBW systems on my my diesel Scout II. My OBA uses a Sanden type compressor.

This is a good vendor for OBA products.

Http://www.onboardair.com/

I want to make on for my 6.5 some day too.

Carey

DA BIG ONE
08-28-2004, 01:15
Originally posted by CareyWeber:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:

Any of you know of how this is done, or is there a better compressor for the job that will bolt to a 99 6.5 TD? Do a google search on "On Board Air" or "OBA" you can ind MANY examples.

I have an OBA and OBW systems on my my diesel Scout II. My OBA uses a Sanden type compressor.

This is a good vendor for OBA products.

Http://www.onboardair.com/

I want to make on for my 6.5 some day too.

Carey </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks for the input, I'll dig some more...