PDA

View Full Version : Thinking bout buying a 95' burb'

rygamer
08-11-2008, 11:54
Hello all,
Is there anything particular I should look out for when i go to check this vehicle out?

It's a 1995 6.5 turbo diesel w/ 170K miles. New lift pump and injection pump. Was owned by a diesel mech. needs new oil cooler line it is leaking a little bit. he wants $4000 w/ the oil cooler line fixed.

I 'm going to check it out this week, but i wanted to ask some intelligent questions before i bought this thing.

Not sure if this is a good deal or not. Total newbie to diesel engines. I do like the fact there is a big resource here in case you have questions.

Mark Rinker
08-11-2008, 17:13
If you need the interior space and towing capabilities of the Suburban, then there really is no substitute.

However, it is late in the game for the 6.5L diesel. If its gone this many miles, and belonged to a diesel tech, it could well go double that - however the failure rate among 6.5Ls is well known.

The way I would look at it - how else could you buy so much truck for only 4K, and how few miles it would take to recoup your investment.

If the engine doesn't last...well...can you rationalize a 4K hit only a few thousand miles into ownership? It would cost close to 10K to repower...

rygamer
08-11-2008, 18:46
If you need the interior space and towing capabilities of the Suburban, then there really is no substitute.

However, it is late in the game for the 6.5L diesel. If its gone this many miles, and belonged to a diesel tech, it could well go double that - however the failure rate among 6.5Ls is well known.

The way I would look at it - how else could you buy so much truck for only 4K, and how few miles it would take to recoup your investment.

If the engine doesn't last...well...can you rationalize a 4K hit only a few thousand miles into ownership? It would cost close to 10K to repower...
thanks for your opinion. i think i will stay away from this one! thanks!

AKMark
08-11-2008, 19:43
Dang Mark.

I've have several 6.2's and 6.5's go well beyond the 365K range. The current one has only a few miles short of 200K and it runs great. If they don't get above 100K, then I'm worried.

Mark Rinker
08-11-2008, 20:12
Just one opinion.

I have seen a few diesel newbies (myself included a few years back) get burned and sink buku dollars into a truck that started out as a great deal, and ended up a HUGE mistake...

4K isn't alot to risk for many - but it could be a huge problem for another.

Crap shoot for sure. I had two 1994s...both broke crankshafts at 130K-150K...so my experience is admittedly jaded.

AKMark
08-12-2008, 05:33
I've blown up two 6.2's, but both didn't owe me anything anymore.

Yeah you got the ones that were problems.

16gaSxS
08-13-2008, 13:11
Personally I would buy another 6.5TD I have a 95 and I like the fact of the easy to change E-PROM for more power.

Ask if new injectors were put in at the time the Pump was replaced. Injectors are past prime life after 100K. If you tow you will want a upgraded water pump.

If you need it for people and gear the 95 water pump will do.