PDA

View Full Version : new guy

86454k30
08-11-2008, 21:41
I just wanted to say hello and of course I have a few questions. I am purchasing an 86 K30 with a 6.2 diesel and 4sp trans the engine is a older goodwrench replacement engine. I haven't had a 6.2 in about 14 years. Any advice? I remember my 82 K20 with a 6.2 had a racor fuel filter system, K&N air filter and a slightly turned up pump. Anything you guys recommend for this "new" truck? I plan on a K&N, fuel filter system? How hard is it to "turn" up the pump?

There is a lot of good info on here.

Robyn
08-13-2008, 06:48
Welcome :D

Turning up the IP is no big deal. There is a nice article here at the page on doing such.
The top of the IP has to come off and in doing this one needs to be careful when replacing the top to be sure all the linkage is proper inside and the solenoid gives an audible click when energized or you can get a runaway without ability to shut it off.

Once inside the Horespower screw is in the bottom and you may have to turn the engine so the screw lines up with an access hole in the lower part of the pump well area.

1/8 turn more should be enough but some folks go more. Too much on an N/A engine will make tons of smoke and more EGT than you need or want.

Read the complete article here before tearing into the beast.

Have fun and again welcome to the page

Missy Robyn :D:D:D:D:D

Subzilla
08-14-2008, 07:11
Remove the restrictive air cleaner snorkel for more power. I installed a Banks-made "big" snorkel and tube in its place. I don't know if Banks still sells this or not. A bigger exhaust is always good.

Add an exhaust temp guage (pyrometer) to monitor your extra power demands. It ain't difficult to push the temps above 1000 on a good hillclimb and you don't want to melt the heads.

86454k30
08-14-2008, 22:17
Thanks for the information. How big of an exhaust should I go with? Should I stay dual or may a single? Also what do you recommend for a fuel/water separator? I have searched for the article on adjusting the IP but maybe I am not searching in the correct section or the right wording