PDA

View Full Version : IP replacement

CTW
08-12-2008, 08:14
Can the IP be changed out by DIY, or are there special tools/equipment needed that only a dealer or large shop might have? Need to replace mine and the dealer est. is 3200..

DmaxMaverick
08-12-2008, 08:23
Yes. If you are handy with tools, it isn't a bad job at all. I/we recommend it for anyone capable, and many folks do it. Try a search. Lots of info on this in the forums and the Member's Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm).

rameye
08-12-2008, 09:16
DIY for sure!!!!

Patience and attention to detail needed however...

Give yourself 2 days...you may need to buy or acquire some neat tools...such as a torque wrench (a must) set of crows feet, and you also can buy some cheap auto-zone type of tools and modify them with a torch for certain jobs...

after its all done you'll still be better than 1500 ahead of the gane and have a better quality job also..

CareyWeber
08-13-2008, 05:30
I just did mine.

I read a bunch before hand and then went to it. Cowracers has a good thread on the pump R&R and it is the one I used.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=25011&highlight=pump+lines

Tools:
15mm 12 point socket
19mm crows foot
15mm Gear Wrench S or Moon (I have the S, but I think the Moon version would work better.

Standard Metric 1/4" & 3/8" drive sockets (mostly 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, and 19mm)

I like to use 1/4" when possible. If the PMD is off the pump the 15mm 12 point nut that holds the pump on the drivers side can be turned with a socket and a swivel.

I would not do this with out either replacing all the rubber hoses to the fuel filter or moving the fuel filter to a easier to reach location. My fuel filter is now on the me radiator shroud on the divers side. Check your fuel heater in the filter to make sure its not leaking.

Carey

CareyWeber
08-13-2008, 05:40
Also a 15/16" socket and a ratchet on the alternator with the belt still in place works great for turning the engine.

Look at doing the timing chain, waterpump,crank pulley, and balancer while you are in there.

It is also a great time to clean the radiator, AC condensor and engine/trany coolers.

Carey

dandl
08-15-2008, 14:37
i did mine about 3yrs ago, i pulled the radiator and water pump so i could see
what i was doing, turn engine to TDC before tearing it down, made a line wrench
from a 3/4 box end wrench for the injector lines, the only special tool is the one for
the injector pump bolts and the tool to turn the pump, but these are only needed
if you plan on doing the timing, bottom line is it can be done, just be careful and when
you put the intake back on you pull it down evenly, it is fragile, good luck, DANDL