PDA

View Full Version : 454 to 6.5 swap

butch cassidy
08-14-2008, 14:40
well guys i'm tired of passing everything but a gas station. i have a 95 suburban with that huge gas hog of a 454, 4x4 and the 4l80 auto. i wanna swap a 6.5 into it and i am a total diesal newb. i never owned anything other than my kabota lawn tractor that had a diesel in it. so what should i look for in a donar engine. there is a 6.5 pickup at work that hasnt moved in about a year. rumor has it that someone put gas in it. would this be rebuildable? there apears to be no external damage I.E. no rods through the block or nothing like that. and what parts will i need. any other advice for this diesel impared gasser? thanks for any help and advise.

DmaxMaverick
08-14-2008, 15:26
Welcome aboard!

The gas may or may not be an issue. Most of the time, it's a non issue, and doesn't require much, if any, wrenching. It depends on how much gas (the concentration), how long it ran, and how it quit running. If it got a lot of gas and just died, there's probably no damage at all. If the mix was 40% or higher, and ran hard until it fell off and finally quit, the damage could be significant, but still not terminal. Higher than about 70%, and the engine won't run at all, which is usually the immediate stall. The fuel injection pump could have suffered damage from less lubrication, and may now have corrosion and deposit buildup (varnish/gum). If ran hard with a high concentration, there could be head and/or piston crown damage from excessive combustion temps, but this is very rare. In any case, lower end damage should be no more a risk than normal. If the seller thinks he "blew it up", you could get a real good deal. It may need no more than a fuel system purge and a new filter.

butch cassidy
08-15-2008, 11:40
thanks for the info. anyone else have any experiance with htis swap?

More Power
08-15-2008, 12:15
Most general and quite a few technical questions you might have about a diesel conversion will be answered in our Diesel Conversions (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58) forum.

Welcome to Board!

Jim