PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 turbo into a 94 K1500 help

xjs53v12
08-15-2008, 06:02
Hello all, I almost have all the goodies to transplant a military 6.2 into my venerable 94 GMC K1500, inclueding a new Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit. The two items holding me up is the serpentine belt drive and info on the transmission (4L60E).

1. I've been looking for a serpentine system for what seems like forever. Does anyone have a set or info on where to get one? I've hit all the junkyards, craigslist....ebay. No luck

2. Help with the transmission. I'm told that the 4L60E will work just fine with a 700R4 torque converter and leave the TCM in the truck. Also will need to install a RPM sensor from a 6.5 to input to the TCM. I'm kinda lookin for some help on how to make it all work as I havnt found any threads or exact info on this (someone who's done it...)

December is my deadline to get this completed, cant wait to hear the torbo spool-up! Thanks in advance.

More Power
08-18-2008, 21:28
I'm assuming you're converting a gas powered 1994 K1500 to diesel power....

Visit the following web site, then call or send them an email about an engine speed sensor and a serpentine accessory belt drive system components. They may have what you need. www.dieseldepot.com (http://www.dieseldepot.com) Tell them The Diesel Page sent you.... ;)

In addition, www.peninsularengine.com (http://www.peninsularengine.com) may have the engine speed sensor and other diesel specific parts as well. I'd call them using the number listed on their web site.

The gas 4L60-E would likely work with the correct diesel torque converter and programming for the diesel. The gas programming will attempt to shift the transmission according to the gas engine's dynamic engine operating range, which isn't too compatible with the lower revving diesel. GM did install the 4L60-E behind the non-turbo 6.2/6.5/1500 series trucks in the early 90's, so the programming is out there.

You'll also need the diesel radiator and fan shroud. The gas 350's used a pretty small radiator.

Good luck, and keep us posted with your project.

Jim

xjs53v12
08-20-2008, 10:27
Thanks a bunch for info. The Diesel Depot "Jamie" was very knowledgeable and helpful and they have the lots of serpentine system configurations. Yay! the search is over, I should get it ordered next week.

I have a torque converter for a 1984 700R4 (diesel). I'm "hoping" all that will need to be done is the converter change and a 6.5 computer installed for use on my 4L60E (gas) ??? Valve body, governor issues ???

Now, I was assured by a local transmission guy that the 700R4/4L60/4L60E (diesel) converters are all the same....and will work/fit with each other.

I also have a 1991 700R4 (gas) that needs a complete rebuild. The big question is which trans would be the best to route. Rebuild the 700R4 $3-400 or buy a 6.5 TCM $75 to run the 4L60E? Hummm.....

I'll start making calls to some transmissions places, Peninsular Engine and others to get TCM programming info or a whole new computer. Gotta wait till after hurricane Fay is out of the area.....

Oh yes, new 6.5 radiator, shroud and D-max fan are planned also.

Thanks again!

More Power
08-20-2008, 12:43
It is my understanding that a pre-87 700R4 can be built with all the good components and be made to shift without any electrical or electronic control. However, when using a 700R4, you'll need to install a TV (Throttle Valve) cable and bracket to to get the shifts right. Finding a bracket to fit the engine might be tough, but one could be fabricated using a gas engine TV cable bracket as a starting point.

In the beginning, the diesel 700R4 torque converters used 6 flexplate bolts, where the gas applications used just 3. Later diesel TC's were available in either 3 or 6 bolt configurations.

What makes a diesel TC a diesel TC is the stall speed RPM. The diesel engine makes max torque at 1800-2000 rpm. The gas engines are about 1000 rpm higher. So, you need a TC that is pretty well engaged by at least 1800. Aftermarket TC's are available that move the stall speed down to 1400 or so, but I'd want one in the 1500-1600 range... Just my opinion... ;)

When I get to it, I'll be putting together a fuel economy project using a non-turbo 6.5 with small port pre-cup cylinder heads. I'm planning to use a 4L60-E for it, simply because I can custom program the TCM to shift and lockup where & when I believe it will help the engine produce the best fuel economy. So, the L60 allows for more flexibility... But, it'll require an aftermarket - programmable TCM & wiring harness kit, which adds about $800 to the installation.

So, your budget will help you decide which transmission to use....

Jim

xjs53v12
08-21-2008, 07:09
Which TCM were you planning on using? I had given it some thought but $800-1400 bucks is a little painful. Especially if I put the 6.2 in and the trans fails for some reason. 156K on it now and well taken care of. However I do like the idea of not having to rebuild the 700R4 yet. That money could go into the 4L60E if it craps out. No monkeying around with a TV cable too.

Now that I think about it, if I buy a 6.5 TCM will it plug into the gas wiring harness. If so, will the gas harness in the the "engine bay" get the "signals" to the right place in the ECM/TCM? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered before I try and go the cheap route. I could see spending alot to find out that I should have purchased a different part or it wouldnt work period.

So, a new controller may be the best way to go in the end.

More Power
08-21-2008, 09:49
I haven't compared the wiring for the gas & diesel equipped trucks, but I'd bet they are way different from one another. It might be possible to do that, but it would require a diligent examination of both systems, and being prepared to do a lot of re-wiring....

The TCM kit I mentioned is produced by www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com (http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com), but there are others available that are programmable. GM Performance Parts also offers a TCM and kit for the L60 & L80.

Jim

arveetek
08-23-2008, 07:55
I don't think your 700R4 torque converter will work in the 4L60E, because I believe that the '84 model TC you have is only a 27-spline unit, while the later models are 30-spline. They won't mate up at all. I can't remember when they switched....

Casey

xjs53v12
08-26-2008, 08:47
I'll have to research that, good point. I seem to remember someone saying there were different splines. I still have a ways to go with the engine anyway, so I have some time. I have also located a 84 Blazer with a running 6.2, I just need to find out what trans is in it. At this rate it will be cheaper to just buy the whole thing outright.

Thanks again