PDA

View Full Version : LBZ turbo mouth piece on LLY

carco
08-18-2008, 16:47
Well 3100 miles later pulling an enclosed 38' gooseneck @ 23500#+ to elevations of 12000 feet I am still not sure how much help the LBZ mouth piece is for power and less heat build. I do know that the Allison trans cooler and fan installed under the left rear passenger floor never let the trans get over 205* and that was up Cottonwood Pass, very steep and long pull. Two years ago trans temp went 250* as did engine temp, same mountain. I believe the LBZ mouthpiece did help some in that engine temp topped out @ 249* and came down fairly quickly on the mountain and not much higher and slower dropping like two years ago. Mileage was off 1 mpg this year, 9.6 versus 10.6 mpg 2 years ago per DIC, but we ran 5-6 hours @ ambient temps of 100-109* in west Kansas and east Colorado with a strong dry headwind. Ran most of it in 4th about 60mph and 5th downhill @ 65 mph. EGT of 1350*+ and ECT of 235*+ many times back out or down shift and keep going, just hard on fuel. One tank only made 200 miles, about 6.6 mpg. Lot of cars and trucks along roadside hoods up, but not us. Just hard to quantify how much good the LBZ mouthpiece may be w/out instruments and a dyno.

Mark Rinker
08-18-2008, 20:05
That's a serious load for 2500 series!

My 4500 wouldn't do much better on fuel under those conditions, probably 7mpg, but tranny stays cooler (more fluid capacity, larger cooler) rarely over 190F and the exhaust brake, grade braking, and BIG brakes of that chassis make for easy stopping. I have 110K on my Kodiak, stock OEM brakes...and about 30% pad remaining rears.

carco
08-19-2008, 16:08
Checked brakes and flushed fresh fluid through before trip. Brake pads have about 75% pad left to go @ 52000 miles! Grade brakeing allows for great brake life. I did pull calipers before trip and cleaned and lubed slides, very thorough inspection all around.

killerbee
09-04-2008, 06:06
Bob

Time to consider changing your MAP sensor. They are getting damaged from the heat and soot. It is the best reason I have found to block the egr, due to its importance in closed loop boost control.

If yours is like others, it is overboosting the turbo, and this is excess heat that just disables the radiator effectiveness.

carco
09-04-2008, 09:06
I have one here in front of me, just need time to replace. EGR was rendered useless many miles ago and finger sticked.. thanks bob..................