PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Hose?

moss6
08-19-2008, 07:28
Noticed that I have a hose at the power steering pump leaking and need to take the truck in to the dealer for warrenty. I showed the wife so she could point it out when she took it in and while pointing it out to her I noticed that this hose terminates at the brake fluid resiovore at the fire wall. What does that hose do?
Randy

Mark Rinker
08-19-2008, 07:59
Provides pressurized (power steering) fluid for power brake function. Remember, no vaccuum in diesels, so no vaccuum assist brakes like most cars employ...

moss6
08-19-2008, 08:53
What I suspected, and all the more reason to replace soon. Probably not a good idea to lose power steering and brakes while coming down a 6% grade with a 14,000lb fifth wheel tied to your arse end.
Randy

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2008, 09:05
Some seepage at the hose/line connections is common, and not usually a reason to be alarmed. Catastrophic failure is extremely rare. Leaks at the fittings can usually be stopped by R/R and proper torque of the fitting. A repair is in order, but unless it is dripping, not alarming.

moss6
08-19-2008, 13:16
My comment was somewhat in jest but one never knows when the Black Bean may turn up. My luck is far from phenomenal anyway! As for the condition of the hose; it leaks enough so that the turbo tube below is covered.
randy

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2008, 14:11
That sounds like more than just seepage. I suggest repairing ASAP. It's covered under your B to B warranty, if you still have that available.

moss6
08-19-2008, 19:49
No doubt; wife was going to Austin this week on business but looks like a cancellation now, would have been good timing,but.... Seems hard to find the time to take a vehical to the dealership anymore; life has gotten way too hectic, reason I take care of truck warrenty issues many times myself, same as with our fifth wheel trailer. At least you have some assurance is done right; but this I think probably needs to go to the dealer so we'll have to find time and most definately before the first of Sept. when we will be going back to Colo. after the first game of the season for the Texas Tech Red Raiders who will be the NCAA Champions this year. Poor Aggies, Longhorns, and Sooners.
Randy