PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Cable

BuffaloGuy
08-20-2008, 13:51
I have a '93. GM has discontinued it and I cannot find an aftermarket maker for one. Any ideas?

More Power
08-20-2008, 15:14
I found GM part #15679743 at http://www.newgmparts.com

It could be available over the counter at your local dealership. I bought one in mid 2006 at our local GMC dealership. :)

Jim

BuffaloGuy
08-20-2008, 16:21
Thanks for the lead. I just ordered one $41.80 w/shipping from them. I'd already tried my local dealer. He said they were discontinued. He tried several other dealers (as did I) and no one had one. I couldn't find one in a junk yard or online either. Let's see if these guys actually ship one.

It seems that I need one every ~125K

Ken

BuffaloGuy
08-26-2008, 06:40
The folks at GM Parts.com have it listed on their website but could nto locate any to ship. See their email to me...

NewGMparts.com

The item you have selected is no longer available thru us. We have exhausted all of our available avenues in locating the part for you..these include a nationwide locator system, and a variety of vintage warehouses.We are sorry we are unable to fill your request at this time. NewGmparts.com Team

We regret to inform you that the following item is currently unavailable:

Hello Ken -- Part is discontinued and no longer avaialable thru GM ...There have been No charges to your credit card and order will cancel automatically..Thank you,Melissa

NewGMparts.com*********We make it easy!

Does anybody have any ideas?!

More Power
08-26-2008, 11:56
I did a Google search for: "gm part number 15679743"

The first site I visited, at http://www.gm-parts-dealer.com/parts.htm, I found the diesel cruise control cable listed for $31.18.

Jim

BuffaloGuy
08-26-2008, 13:46
I called. No dice. He said it's discontinued. It seems that these compnaies have not updated their websites. Ken

More Power
08-26-2008, 15:03
GM installed the mechanically injected 6.5 in their vans through 1996. I haven't seen a van cable, but it might get you close. Another alternative might be to acquire a gas cable, and then modify (extend) it. GM used the same cruise module in their gas engine apps through at least 1999 in their GMT-400 C/K trucks & SUVs.

I'm glad I bought a new one last year.... .;)

Jim

BuffaloGuy
08-27-2008, 10:17
I guess I'll have to macgyver it. If I come up with a real neat idea I'll post it so later readers can benefit. From past experience I've learned that the cable tends to wear out right at the sharp bend just before the IP. That's the weak spot.

More Power
08-27-2008, 14:32
Talk to Joe at Parts Unlimited (406-642-3403) here in Montana. Joe is a 6.5 guy who works at their commercial auto salvage operation. I helped him with a 1998 EFI-MFI conversion last year, so he's well aware of what you need. I do know that they were parting out one or more DB2 6.5 powered trucks last year.

Jim