PDA

View Full Version : OEM Verses After Market Parts

gmenor
08-27-2004, 03:19
Ever since I've had my Suburban I have bought everything for the beast from the dealership or NAPA. It is to a point that the dealership parts people has me under my company name to get prices at reduced rate. As with some owners I keep a couple spare parts on hand for back-up (FSD, OPS and lift pump). With the exception of the FSD (saw MP's posting on a new improved FSD) does anyone have any luck with after market parts that have lasted within reasonable time? I just changed out the OPS and lift pump 35k miles ago and had to replace them again. Thoughts? Experience? Frustrated?

Dvldog 8793
08-27-2004, 03:52
Howdy
For me it depends on what I'm putting the parts on. If it is my Caprice or welding truck then I use the cheapest parts I can find because those vehicles don't see many miles.My 3500 Chev gets all Delco parts, I've found that the majority of the Delco parts are of a much higher quality and last MUCH longer. I just got finished replaceing the block in my truck and I used all Delco stuff to go with it.I think that if you are getting the discounted price from your dealer then you are not far off of Napa price for their better line of parts.
Just my 2cents :D
L8r
Conley

catmandoo
08-27-2004, 05:03
my dad had a shop here in town for years and we always go declo parts from the dealers at cost and i've known the parts man for about 25 yrs and he still gives me cost.so i won't go anywhere else.except for little stuff like ac oil filters and fuel filters which i can get at o'reillys cheaper then he can sell them.i had problems on an 87 pontiac about 3 years ago,thing just up and died one day so tear into it ,end up haveing to buy a factory service manual off ebay,trace my problem to the module so go to o'reillys and get a borg warner,now the car would attempt to fire but it was like the timing was really retarded,anyway put the new b/w module in and then it wouldn't even attempt to do anything,anfter about 3 weeks of frustration i went to the ac delco dealer and get a module and she fired right up.after that i decided nothing but delco for my gm's.