PDA

View Full Version : Can I add remote start 2008 Silverado

EdSpaek
08-22-2008, 06:48
Having trouble with the dealer in determining if remote start is available for my 2008 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.6 Duramax with 6 speed Allison auto trans

Currently have remote lock and unlock with the GM antiftheft system.

The build sheet states that the 1LT package includes the vehicle remote starter prep package but no one is able to determine if this will work with a full size pickup with a diesel

Any thoughts?

DriveAbout
08-29-2008, 21:15
I have the remote start on my 2008 3500 Duramax as a factory option. It is possible, but might be expensive to add after the fact.

The build sheet states that the 1LT package includes the vehicle remote starter prep package but no one is able to determine if this will work with a full size pickup with a diesel

Any thoughts?

Kenneth
09-01-2008, 19:00
My buddy has a remote start on his 2008 GMC 2500 Duramax. He just barely got it too. It only has 4,000 miles on it currently. It's a great truck. His is totally decked out though. I don't know what option code it is, but I know you can get the remote start.

Ric
09-02-2008, 16:20
My 08 has remote start. I bet it can be added quite easily if someone has the correct cabling and parts from GM ???

EdSpaek
09-04-2008, 02:30
Thanks for the replies-I finally found a dealer that knew what build codes I needed (AP8) and reprogrammed with new Key Fobs. works Great! Cost to add was $250.00

Only issue is that no one including the dealer can tell me how the system will wait for the glow plug heat cycle in the very cold weather?

Kenneth
09-04-2008, 19:49
Yeah, that bothers me too. My buddy's 08 doesn't wait, it just starts. But hey, in CA that's not much of a problem. $250, that's not too bad for the option. Glad to hear you finally got it.

Ric
09-05-2008, 04:38
good to hear you got it done. The salesman told me that the glow plugs rapidly heat and you need not worry about the glow plugs. When I turn my key forward for a cold start (summertime) I see no glow plug light or wait light. But when I turn the key forward again for the actual start, there is an everso slight delay before the starter kicks.

I wonder if the glow plugs are not heating at all til the actual start position of the key? If so, dang that's fast. Maybe wintertime that slight delay will be longer and therefore the remote start would have a slight delay as well?

Kenneth
09-05-2008, 19:00
I hope so. The new vehicle electronics are sure cool and convenient, but sometimes confusing.

Chevy Dieseldog
02-28-2009, 08:31
'07 on are pre-wired for a factory remote start. I see that owners are still opting to install after market brands. Questions I would have are,
1> Transmitting range for the remote
2> Some aftermarket are two way remote (the remote confirms the command sent ie. did the vehicle actually start, did the doors actually lock etc)
3> Is the aftermarket compatible with factory security. My old truck, a '05, the doors lock with the key in the ignition, running or not. (Numerous other quirks, not my problem anymore)
In my '07 a couple times the factory panic alarm has gone off a couple times when I've started remotely.

jharden1
02-28-2009, 18:44
I have remote start in my 2007 LMM. A slight pause and away it goes. It will set in parking lot 3-4 days. Range is around 100 yards. Works at any temperature - single digits this year, so far.

sb359
09-06-2009, 22:49
07 classics are not prewired