PDA

View Full Version : Cover over intake manifold

DaveBr
08-25-2008, 19:04
Can someone please tell me if the factory cover that says TURBO POWER on it that covers the whole top of the engine has a purpose? Or is it there just to make the engine look sexy.

Thanks

Dave

93 Silverado 2500:confused:

chickenhunterbob
08-25-2008, 20:18
Officially called a "noise cover", guess likely intended to muffle the intake / IP noises.

Hubert
08-25-2008, 20:42
Read long ago now probably archived threads that it was to help direct air flow to help cool IP and valley. I think it helped for interstate driving but no help and insulated area after shut down. Early PMD's died of heat soak after shut down.

Not a big difference either way.

It is sexy when cleaned but I have grown accustom to mine being topless and I like it too.

dieselrealtor
08-26-2008, 17:15
my understanding has been that it helps to compound heat, it was the first thing to go when I bought mine.

MTTwister
08-26-2008, 18:12
Thats why I left mine on - to help keep the fuel filter as warm as possible. Long and cold Montana winters, never had a wax job. :). Better Lucky than smart, however...

Hubert
08-26-2008, 20:29
Hmm I guess it depends on your reference. I read it was to allow radiator air to pass through valley of engine and help flush excess heat. The IP and surrounding heads being hotter than air coming through radiator but I can also see it help keep the fuel filter warmer during cold weather as air through radiator is warmer than frigid ambient.

Agreed shut down it holds heat. Again iirc not a big difference in temps either way.