PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle Diagnosis

JoeX87000031
08-26-2008, 00:28
HEY ALL,

Got 3 questions;

1. Still pressing on trying to make our truck run strong. We have the cooland temp circuit running great, but it wont idle smooth. It idles rough, hot or cold and has white smoke, unburnt diesel smelling, doesn't smell like oil. When you try to start it, she will fire up, usually pretty quick, but will only run for a second. It wont go to idle from start unless you give it just a little throttle. It has new injectors, and no DTC's are being set. Just did a tdco relearn and it went to -1.35. Guess I am going to check compression. Do you think its worth it?

2. How may fuel filters does this thing have. I have already changed the one in the lifter valley, is there one on the frame?

3. Status flags part of scantool it says that my stepper is inhibited. I think that may mean the cold start solenoid. It makes sense that it could be that because it idles at almost 900 rpm all the time and when you disconnect the temp sensor it runs much better, with a dtc 15 of course. Think I am gonna change that cold start/high idle solenoid.

Get back to me if any of you have encountered something like this or if you think I am approaching these things incorrectly.

pic 1= check out my sweet rear wheel config, for driving on railroad tracks
pic 2+3= current state of interior for cleaning and dynating!
pic 4= computer data (should boost be .89 @ o rpm???) think I am going to replace the map sensor as we;;

More Power
08-26-2008, 09:47
Unless someone has installed an aftermarket auxiliary fuel filter, your truck has only one - the one behind the intake manifold.

You can read more about the stepper motor operation at the following thread.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?p=242045 (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?p=242045)

Jim

JoeX87000031
09-11-2008, 09:47
Hello Again,

Thanks for the good info on the stepper motor. I took a look and it does move. I posted here: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=32600
Anyways, my question is, what is the Actual Injection Pump Timing? Why is it so hi? (20-30 degrees) When I had my truck running, I pulled up on the rod of the stepper/cold advance solenoid and my truck ran smooth. This of course set a code. I found that when I pulled the stepper up until my truck read about 48 degrees actual injection pump timing, it runs perfect and will run good for the most part down to 42-43 degrees. When I let it go it goes to 25-30 Degrees Act Inj Pmp Tmng it runs very rough and has a lot of white smoke. I am thinking compression! I haven't ohmed the wires yet, but I will and post in here for anyone else who runs into this in the future. I am going to get the diesel compression kit ($129.00 at NAPA) on friday and give this a go, just hate going behind that turbo again, I took it off the the Injector R2. Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated on our part. 44-48 degrees seems like a lot more than other trucks have had on here. Take care all, also I have included some pictures of what I have been messing with, tell me if I am not on the right part. Also, I cannot budge the stepper arm when the truck is off, that must be a strong little motor, maybe draws a lot of power and is affected by a poor ground or is just getting weak, solenoids sometime get weak on aircraft, esspecially fuel shut-off solenoids on the C-5?

1st pic you can see the wire I used to manipulate the motor arm
2nd pic is top view of stepper
3rd pic is the 4 wires I am going to ohm,
4th pic, I cover my intake ports when I work in there, rags are out for the picture

Also, how do you make your pictures just show up so you all don't have to click on the 3 links?

More Power
09-12-2008, 09:39
When using a Tech II Scan Tool, the ACT INJ TIME (Actual Injection Timing) should be about 3.5 degrees. This is separate and different from the TDC-Offset.

Jim

JoeX87000031
09-12-2008, 10:11
I think I may have come across with that right, Here are 2 "snap shots" that I took with the scanning software;

INJECTION PUMP SENSORS
Actual injection pump timing: 27.19 deg <this is what I was asking about (truck runs smooth @ 43 to 48 deg)
Cam reference missed: 0 counts
Crank refefence missed: 0 counts
Fuel calibration: 125 counts
Fuel rate: 10.94mm3
Fuel rate cruise: 0mm3
Fuel rate idle: 14.38mm3
Fuel rate maximum transient: 61.56mm3
Fuel rate throttle requested: 0mm3
Injection Pulse width: 1.75 milliseconds
Injection timing measured: 4.8 deg <- I think this is what you described More Power?
Injection timing desired: 4.7 deg
TDC offset: -1.32 deg

does anything look astray?
also under status flags...

stepper motor inhibit is flagged
transmission temp pullup is flagged (do manual trans have temp sensors?)

Thank you for your reply More Power, and take care.