PDA

View Full Version : 82 Chevy K-20

Harvard
08-26-2008, 23:47
Hello All, well I would first like to say hello. Im new here (if you couldnt tell that one). Any way, I have a 1982 Chevy K20 that well I just blew up the 350 in it. :o And while the truck is sitting I was bored and looking on you tube and found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0o1o5W_f6o and well it got my wheels turning. So im thinking of putting a Detriot 4-53T in my truck I have already found the 2 speed from advance adapters. But my question is, hooking it up to my SM 465 transmission?? And the motor mounts. I do believe I have the dana 60 up front so the weight shouldnt be an issue. ANd yes I would like to stick with the detriot. But what do you all think? And does anyone know who makes an adapter to go to the trans? Also, what about the wiring, if I remeber right, with detriots all you need is power going to the starter and altenator, and thats it. Can you all help me out here?
Thanks alot,
Harvard

Harvard
08-27-2008, 00:11
Ok well, I was looking around here more, and it looks like alot of you guys are running GMs 6.2 and 6.5 motors. I was always told that those motors were better off as boat anchors, thats why I didnt even consider them. But looking around now it looks like they can be pretty reliable. But I would still want a turbo, did they make them for it? And, I guess this would be an easier swap instead of the Detriot. Oh and how much electronics is used in these motors? Im looking for as little as possible.
Thanks again,
harvard

More Power
08-27-2008, 14:42
There are two types of fuel injection systems used on these engines - electronic & mechanical. The mechanical Stanadyne DB2 fuel injection pumps were used in the civilian market through the 1993 model year. Beginning in the 1994 model year, GM switched to the Stanadyne DS4 electronic fuel injection pump.

Any 6.5, no matter the model year can use the mechanical fuel injection system, which requires minimal electrics to function (shut-off & cold advance circuits). Even the newest 2008 model HMMWV's are using the mechanical DB fuel injection systems - due to their simplicity and lower cost, so finding new parts are not a problem.

Any of these engines can be turbocharged. Which system you use depends on the body style of the truck. If this is going into an 80's truck, you'll need the Banks Sidewinder. If a 90's body style truck, you can use the factory civilian 6.5 turbo system, which are pretty inexpensive and fairly available in the salvage market. Banks suspended manufacturing their 6.2 turbo kit in 2006, but they turn up occasionally on eBay or the diesel boards.

Jim

Harvard
08-27-2008, 20:48
Thanks Jim. How would these motors be with out a turbo? And would you suggest I just find a donor truck and buy it, instead of just the motor?
Thanks Again

More Power
08-27-2008, 23:36
The original non-turbo 6.2L diesel was primarily designed as a fuel economy engine. That's where its true strength lies. If you're a leadfoot or expect to tow, you'll really wish for a turbocharger. A healthy and stock non-turbo 6.2L diesel produces about 130-140 hp at the crank or about 100 at the rear wheels. A non-turbo 6.2L diesel makes about 240 lb-ft of torque at the crank, which is usually enough for a light-duty truck or a people moving Suburban.

Adding a turbocharger increases power & torque about 40%. As a point of interest, the Banks 6.2L turbocharger system was a dealer-installed option beginning in 1989. If driven exactly the same as a non-turbo equipped 6.2L diesel, one with a Banks turbo will still produce almost exactly the same fuel excellent economy. Power corrupts though.... Having more power usually means the driver will use it more often, which can reduce fuel economy a mile or two per gallon if driven more aggressively (can still be above 20-mpg though).

A donor can reduce the cost of the conversion, and make it easier, by not having to search for the little bits and pieces...

Jim

Harvard
08-28-2008, 20:56
ok thanks Jim. Now im on the search for a donor vehicle. And that banks sidwinder kit. and yes I am going to use this in a work vehicle. Thanks alot