PDA

View Full Version : Blank Gear/Odometer Display

truckin
08-27-2008, 11:04
The display gear and odometer display on my 2001 Silverado intermittently goes out. I don't think it's a problem with the transmission selector switch because the display goes completely out. Sometimes I can tap on the display and it will come back on. I've had the gauge cluster out of the dash, checked the connector, and not found anything loose. Any suggestions?

More Power
08-29-2008, 00:21
If the "tap on the display and it will come back on" is repeatable, you probably have a problem with the instrument panel cluster or related wiring. If it's the IP, you may be able to spot the problem with just a visual.

Failing all that, salvage IP's are going for $200-400. Your local dealer can reprogram the mileage in the replacement IP to match what the original has.

Jim

truckin
08-30-2008, 08:48
It did the same thing again this morning. Once it again, a firm tap on the display brought it back up. I looked at all off the soldered connections that I could easily see by pulling off the back cover when I had it out. I guess I could disassemble it further prior to buying another one.

truckin
12-04-2008, 13:06
Well, I finally took it to my dealer after almost beating my knuckles off to make the display come back on. The replaced it with a refurbished model and reprogrammed it for around $360. The guages looked faded and the trip odometer reset to zero every time I cranked it. They ordered another one, installed it and half of the instrument lights didn't work. The tech writer told me these things are rebuilt in New Jersey and they obviously don't have very strict quality controls. I'm on my third one now that seems to be working (got my fingers crossed). My tech writer said they are supposed to be able to reprogram the mileage at the dealer but when each cluster arrived, it was already programmed and locked by the factory. I was still driving each time they ordered one so now my mileage showing is about 700 less than actual. The engine hours also show 6900 when it actually has only 2500-not a big deal but it would've been nice to have it right. They had a stack of clusters waiting to be replaced and the tech writer told me GM has been in a class action lawsuit about this. A little internet research revealed the website www.speedometersettlement.com which is supposed to have the settlement amount later this month. I'm sure my truck will miss the range they are covering but maybe somebody could get something for it.