PDA

View Full Version : missing, no power, smoke above 2500 rpm

seriousdiesel
08-27-2008, 12:04
ive got a 94 3500 6.5 with electronic pump in the shop right now, and not being quite as familliar with these engines as the newer engines, im looking for some ideas. The truck im working on starts fine, run great up to 2500 rpm above 2500 it falls on its face smokes a little white and alot of black. i have checked the vac system and replaced the wastegate sol. with no change. my second thought is timing. I am wondering if a worn chain or other mechanical timing issue may be the issue. The truck shows no check engine lights and I do not have access to a tech 1 scanner. Truck has 270000 miles. Any Ideas would be awesome, because short of finding a tech 1 or just throwing parts at it, im at a loss. thanks, Nathan

DmaxMaverick
08-27-2008, 13:10
Sounds like a plugged filter (air and/or fuel), or the lift pump isn't pumping. Any of the above will also effect combustion timing. Verify fuel supply by opening the water drain valve (brass T valve near thermostat) with the engine at idle. If it dies within seconds and/or there's no fuel coming out of the hose, the lift pump isn't working. If you have good fuel flow and the engine continues to run, suspect a plugged filter. More on that once you confirm the fuel supply.

At the same time, don't rule out contaminated fuel (water, gasoline, etc.). It doesn't happen often, but it does.

BTW....
Welcome aboard!

More Power
08-28-2008, 11:10
2500 rpm is a useful bit of information. It is at that rpm that the PCM will put the engine into limp mode if the turbo boost is not what it expects...

Look for a code 78 stored in memory, which is a boost code...

Jim