PDA

View Full Version : where to start?

85-m1028
09-02-2008, 12:09
Well I was on my way to drop my daughter off at her montesori school and about 5 miles into it I start hearing a loud knock knock knock knock knock knock knock knock.

I thought "hmm must be an injector", the engine was still running ok and still had power. for some reason I was focused on getting where I needed to go, so I continued on. couple miles later that knock became a rattle rattle rattle rattle rattle rattle and then started stumbling and loosing power. I made the last two blocks and pulled into the parking lot and by then it was blowing some serious white smoke!!!

Shut it down and called for a tow. The tow man asked if I could start it up and back out so he could better positioned to hook me up. Well being the genius I am, decided to give it a try and lets just say it wouldn't stay running.

The guy I bought the truck from said it had recently had a new crankshaft put in? I am at a loss for where to start, Connecting rods? valve train? I dont know. I just drained the oil to pull the pan and have a look.

I do have a low milage 6.5 from a hmmwv of the same year, should I just make a short block out of it and swap it all over!! I dread that thought!!!

85-m1028
09-03-2008, 10:26
Ok it appears as though the bottom end is still intact!! that's is good news to me!! I'm now thinking that a pushrod went or something else up on top..

If a pushrod went on me, is that worth taking the top end appart and replacing pushrods and tappets? Does that just bandaid another eventual breakdown?

rameye
09-03-2008, 18:21
Honestly I would do a compression test before I made any decisions....the engine could have grenaded for all you know...also it could less of a problem than what you think..

Check it out....if the compression is bad...pull the heads..do a post mortem and take it from there.

I think my finance$ would have a lot of bearing on what I'd end up doing.

my .02

85-m1028
09-23-2008, 13:04
well I finally got around to digging in the top end. I removed the intake manifold and found the injection pump had no bolts holding it on?? would this potentialy cause my afforementioned symptoms??

sorry for the blurry pic
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q218/85-m1028/injectionpump.jpg

JohnC
09-23-2008, 15:08
Pull the timing cover off and see what else is damaged. The service manual warns against running the engine with the nuts loose...

john8662
09-23-2008, 18:36
Go down to the dealer and get some new injection pump nuts and have some fun installing them. You can also remove the oil filler tube and (after you have the IP secured) rotate the engine by hand and check that the IP driven gear bolts are tight, these are three 13mm headed bolts (not the big one in the middle).

Just center the injection pump on the mounting studs, this might get it close enough to run out (has for me in the past).

I would definitly say you found the culprit, it could certainly make some noise, and could cause the smoke, because of the timing alteration (major).

J Dub

85-m1028
09-23-2008, 22:53
There was one nut barely on one of the lower post. Is it possible for the injection pump gear to "jump a tooth"?

I will go to the dealer and get some new nuts. I was looking at pulling the timing chain cover but you need to take all the serp brackets off and drain the radiator.
How does one drain the radiator on this thing?

john8662
09-25-2008, 16:19
Your safest bet it to remove the water pump and backing plate, not the timing cover itself. You'll have to remove the serpentine belt and any accessories that conflict with you removing the waterpump and associated bolts.

Draining the coolant is accomplished by turning the white plastic plug located on the driver's side of the radiator, near the bottom. Hold your comments about it being a PITA to get to, cuz, we know. It just requires turning 1/2 turn (it will stop), then you pull out about 3/8" or so, coolant should start coming out.

It's a stupid design...

Aligning up the pump and tightening the bolts won't really hurt the engine, it if starts and runs fine then it hasn't jumped time. If it runs like garbage and smokes a bunch of white, then yes, it's out of time, you'll have to pull the waterpump/cover and investigate, then perhaps align the timing marks. It's pretty tough for them to actually jump the teeth, but indeed possible.

J